My Frugal Life: Ways To Save

Here are some frugal ideas, we use in our home.

Always buy used when we can. My Frugal Life We visit many garage sales, thrift shops and online resources like eBay. Just keep a "need" list in your car or purse for when your out & about hitting yard sales.

Repurpose just as much stuff as you can. For instance, maybe that ugly old dresser you have in your basement would make a nice coffee table. Simply cut it down to the proper height leaving (usually) the last drawer in place then adding a nice top, trim it out and you have a coffee table. I have a really nice one that receives many compliments to it's unique look.

Trash pick old wood pieces of furniture and you'd be surprised what some Old English, paint or stain can do. Resell for profit in your yard/garage sale.

Turn the heat down and put on more clothing in the winter for noticeable savings on your heat bill.

Install a wood burning stove in your home and use as your primary heat. Wood is far less expensive compared to natural gas and propane and you can find free wood on Free Cycle http://www.freecycle.org Join the group(s) in your local areas.

Cook in bulk eating leftovers and freezing meals for later use. I will make a big breakfast one day sometimes consisting of homemade biscuits, gravy, sausage and scrambled eggs. I will make extra sausage and scrambled eggs and save for the next day and I will make breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage and cheese. So yummy.

Give your pets their shots. You can get everything except rabies for HUGE savings. Advantage flee preventive for dogs, the blue one for dogs 55 pounds can be broken down into 10 cat doses. You'd give .4 ml per cat. NOTE: the point before the 4. You can also split the larger dose between 2 smaller 27 pound dogs.

Don't replace your worn wiper blades yet. Just take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and run it on the edge of the blade about 10 times and the blades will be as good as new.

By Mary W. from Camden, MI. USA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Thrifty Funners are so generous.

For getting the shots, are those at Farm type stores? Refrigerated?

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeSeptember 23, 2009
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄