Inexpensive Vacation Ideas

I am wondering what can I do for some sort of vacation. I have been working 2 jobs for the last 9 months and school is out. I don't really have any money to spend. I am somewhat handicapped in that I have to have electricity at night so I can't camp. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Take a tour of the city you live in; spend the night in a hotel/motel you can afford (save your money up to do this). Have breakfast at a local restaurant and then go to an attraction in your city you have not been to. Same with lunch and dinner plans.

I know myself that there are a lot of attractions in my city that I have not been to. My husband and I go downtown and walk around and we always find some place we haven't visited in a while or a new shop to browse in.

Look around your own surroundings and discover "where you live"! It can be fun and will not cost you a lot of money

Visit some friends you haven't seen in a while. It sounds like you are in school, so see if you can visit a close friend this summer who lives in a different town or city. They will usually love to show you the sights.

did you know almost all campgrounds these days have electricity? the sites with power cost a few dollars more than the sites without. do you live near any lakes or rivers? a day trip to a local scenic river is great. we went on a float trip with our grandkids (ages 2 & 6) on a supereasy 3 hr float for $30 a canoe. sun, water, exercise and relaxation in one 3 hr trip. drive across a state border and see whats on the other side. do a resaturant crawl. go one place for the appetizer, another to the main course, and one more for desert. good luck carla in missouri

We have lots of float trips within an hour of where I live, but beware. Most here (an area known for their floats) cost $20-30.00 per person. Put 4 people in the canoe, and that float trip can cost $80-120.00--not a cheap week end.

sounds like you have a motorized chair like me?? why not take day vacations. Pack a lunch each day, take a bottle that you filled with water half way and froze, then fill with water. go to a park one day, take a book, or puzzle magazine or deck of cards or craft to work on if crochet or knit. if possible, transfer to picnic table to get away from you chair. fun to watch the kids play or watch the lake if park has one. check out your area for an art museum, history museum or any type of museum. do what my mom used to call "window shopping". go to mall or downtown area and check out the store windows. we used to do this in the Chicago Loop, loved the Sears Roebuck windows. maybe enjoy some of these activities with a friend. keep your mind open, anything is possible.

sandy63 here. no i dont have a wheelchair. i have sleep apnea and have a cpap machine. i am thinking about maybe trying a cabin rental and going that route.

thank you all.

Try your State Parks! Our family has had the BEST time at those!! Usually, you will find excepional deals for cabins and lodges. Also, try your state website for ideas.

Sandy, why don't you visit Havre de Grace, Maryland. There are some bed and breakfast's in town. You could walk on the promenade, feed the ducks all while looking at the bay, visit the local shops. If you do don't forget to visit Bomboy Chocolates and Ice Cream. I think they are the best. The candy shop and ice cream store are right across the street from each other. Also, maybe you could coordinate your trip for one of the weekends that Havre de Grace is having one of their festivals. I know there is an Arts and Craft one and a Seafood one coming up. Free admissions. Just try to avoid the 4th of July. They do a carnival and fireworks and the town gets crazy.

Kim

Joppa, MD

As a campground owner, I have to tell you many campgrounds now have electricity. Many tenters even rent the electric sites, so it can be done. There are many wonderful private campgrounds around--you don't have to crowd in to a state park.

I like the idea of vacationing in your own city. Then you don't have a lodging expense.

Sandy

A vacation is for the mind and body,Now you really concentrate and come up with something you would really want to do and that it is available with in an hour or two of where you live.

People all make a bee line for places far away and haven't visited places right next store.

Like me I love to look at paintings and live in the Harrisburg ,Pennsylvania area. Hey I still have hundreds of places paintings are displayed and probably will never get to them all.

Music! what type of music do you LOVE?Look in your local paper and see if there are any public concerts.

So you by a ticket go out to dinner and take a walk in a public park.That is an escape from the norm. A sort of recharging of you batteries.

Ok lets say you really could afford to go to Hawaii. Just look at the travel portion, You have to drive to another city to catch a plane and maybe again exchange planes just to get there. Your hotel and reserved room are nothiing fancy or even worth remembering. Wow you get to go to the beach with a zillion other strangers Fighting for a place in line at overcrowded resturants, and being taken advantage of by junk souvenir sellers. Oh you want to get off the beaten track?WHERE? There are thousands of other people doing the same thing,Another thing if you get to far off you most likely will become a victim of crime. 2 weeks in Hawaii and your return is a few photos and memories and the loss of many thousands of dollars of your hard earn money.

So Sandy how many tourist places have you actually visiited in the Baltimore area/ Heck we can throw in Washington DC even with the traffic. Virginia Beach and a 1 night stop at a cheap motel You've got the whole state of Delaware If you got someone else to help drive you got the Skyline Drive in Virginia with 2 days of motels. My Pennsylvania atleast the southern part over to Central Pa.

Your Maryland .The trick is to do what you want .

Me I can take a vacation just walking up to the top of the mountain just above my home. As many times as I been there I always find something new.

Whatever You Do Sandy Make It Yours

Mr. Thrifty

We rent a cabin for only $15/adult per night, and $5 for kids. It's located near Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. To find it, Google "chillbillyacres" (one word). Hope this helps!

Travel and Recreation TravelJune 19, 2006
An aerial photo of Disneyland.
Saving Money on a Disney Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Vacation Fund Jar
Frugal Vacation Activities
Saving Money on Vacation Rentals
Saving Money on Vacation Rentals
🎄