Roasted Turkey Legs and Gravy

contest winner icon

I am simply a person who adores dark poultry meat instead of white so why cook an entire turkey? My idea must be getting popular because two of three local markets here had completely run out of the legs first thing this morning and the only reason the third one had any left was because they are an absolutely huge, well stocked market. Even going to that market this afternoon was a Blessing, because I was able to get three of the last seven 2 pound each packages. I had called them just two hours before and the store still had thirty packages. Lesson learned! I will be shopping extra early for Christmas Turkey legs and freeze them. ;-)

• 6 lbs. turkey legs
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • Ad
  • 1 tsp. rubbed sage
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 large celery ribs, diced
  • 1 (15 oz.) can chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour, or more if needed
  • 1 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Pour the 15 ounce can of chicken broth into the bottom of a roasting pan.

Combine lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and sage in a small bowl and rub well over turkey legs. Lightly coat with olive oil and stagger layer legs in the roasting pan with onion and celery tucked under and in between the legs.

Bake, covered with a foil tent, at 325 degrees F until a meat thermometer reads 175 degrees F, basting every 30 minutes.

Remove turkey legs to a serving platter and keep warm.

Combine flour and the 1 cup of chicken broth in a saucepan until smooth, add all pan drippings including bits, bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Bless your heart! We are also only roasting legs this year, and I was going to put them in at 350. Your instructions are very clear and sound delicious. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this recipe Deeli. I have always loved the legs also but never have to fight over them because everyone else loves the breast meat. What an advantage we have! I bet the sales on the these will be great in the weeks to come and I will be stocking up on these too.

Turkey in a roasting pan.
Roasted Turkey Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Thanksgiving Main DishNovember 23, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Turkey Gravy in Gravy Boat
Turkey Gravy Recipes
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎉
🎄