Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By Arturo from San Diego, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Gloria Z [5]03/25/2011

The washer won't spin if you have a plugged i[ drain. Did you wash something and it fell apart in the washer? That would do it. Another thing is to find you reset button it's usually on the top of the washer - it might look like an open small hole. Take a screw driver and put it inside to click the button. If all else fails it's probably the belt on the motor. If you don't have anyone to take apart your machine call a repair guy - cost appx. $109.00.

By darla03/23/2011

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My Frigidaire gallery front loading washing machine will not run its spin cycle. i don't want to pay for a repairman if i don't need to. Please help.

Rich from Cape Cod

RE: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My daughters did that also, they had to get a repair man to replace the "drive belt that had broken on the inner tub pulley's". Good luck but it sounds like you will have to call a reapairman. (12/11/2006)

By Paula Jo Carr, Mebane NC USA

My 6 year old Frigidaire washing machine suddenly starts to not completely wring out the water after a complete wash cycle.

Sidneiye from CA

My washer did that. I had it checked out. The water pump had gone out on it. (06/26/2006)

By ness1up2

Could also be that the belt needs to be replaced. That happened to my machine. (06/26/2006)

By Mary

It could simply be that the hose, or the drain pipe it goes to, is clogged. This has happened to me. Some lint gets through and after a time it can build up. (06/27/2006)

By pam2cats

My washing machine won't spin on the colors cycle, it will spin on whites and delicates.

Beth from Nashville, TN

Request: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

(format_html)My 6 year old Frigidaire washing machine suddenly starts to not completely wring out the water after a complete wash cycle.

Sidneiye from CA

By ness1up2

By Mary

By pam2cats

(09/27/2006)

By moderator

If the other spin cycles work, it could be the timer. You would have to replace the timer. If you can limp buy for awhile, you may be able to turn the dial and spin the colors on the white cycle. This does not correct the problem but it's cheaper than a new timer ... for awhile anyway! You can do a Google search for Repair Clinic and view the appliance you have a problem with. Gives you lots of suggestions. Consider the age of your machine versus the repair costs. (09/28/2006)

By Syd

If it works completely on one wash cycle, it should work the same on the other, but doesn't, which indicates to me that it's in the circuit board and likely a switch problem. Hope I'm wrong! Good luck and God bless you. : ) (10/01/2006)

By Lynda

My washer, which has not given my one bit of a problem after 15 years, is in need of a repair. When I wash a load of clothes, the motor runs just fine and the laundry goes through a full cycle. When it is supposed to spin, it just makes this loud clicking noise and does not spin. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong. There is no problem with the machine filling or draining.

Should I call a repairman or just get a new machine? I know it's old, but has been a great machine up to now, and has never needed anything. The motor works fine. I'm not sure if the agitator moves or not. Would it make a difference? Please advise me on what to do. I really do not want to invest in another machine if it's worth fixing this one.

Susan from AR

If your machine is 15 years old the parts may not be available to replace them. (05/22/2007)

By JMRoss

Very same thing happened to our daughter who called a repair man. It was a knee high that locked everything up on the washer. Now it works fine. It was probably 7 years old when this happened: not old, but not new either. (05/22/2007)

By Paula Jo C., Mebane, NC

Could be the motor actually. My washing machine stopped working on spin cycle although the wash cycle up till then worked perfectly. The engineer we called out (from the company) replaced it with a new motor as he said that overtime, with some overloaded washing, the motor didn't have enough power to spin although it did have enough power to wash.

At the moment, not sure how true it is since we're not techie people, but I guess have to trust the guy since he put in a new one, and it now works fine. Apparently some motors have problems with carbon brushes that just need to be replaced, so do look into those too. (10/01/2007)

By Mo

The spin filter is clogged with lint. (11/01/2008)

By Kathleen

If the washer washes, drains, doesn't spin, rinses, drains and again doesn't spin, then it sounds like a solenoid that isn't switching it into the spin cycle. (02/03/2009)

By

I had the same problem. The machine will do the washing cycle. At the start of the spin cycle it would start turning with a lot of clicking sounds and then would stop spinning. The water pump would continue working without problem. The motor tries to start again in about three minutes, however, repeats the same behavior.

I have a reasonable mechanical and electrical knowledge. I was sure that the overload protection switch of the motor was tripping. I opened up my machine, a GE super capacity top loading machine. Took off the belt and turned the transmission pulley. It turned easily in both directions (washing and spinning). Hence, the transmission was good. Next, I checked any water accumulation in the spin tub. If the water is not drained properly before the spin cycle, it would overload the motor. There was no water clogged in the spin tub. Finally, I dismantled the electric motor. There was a clutch assembly underneath the motor pulley. I dismantled it and found the clutch very dirty with some grease that had turned sticky. I cleaned the assembly thoroughly with alcohol and assembled back the machine. The machine is running perfectly after that.

Conclusion: The clutch assembly was mis-functioning.

Reason: When the spin cycle starts, the spin tub is very heavy and cannot achieve the full speed quickly. On the other hand, electric motors must get to their running speed fairly quickly or else overheating of motor would happen. A proper functioning clutch allows the motor to run at their optimal speed while transferring enough torque to the spin tub to slowly speed up the tub to its fullest. In my case, the clutch was sticky, thus overloading the motor which would trip as it overheats. (03/01/2009)

By RoboMan