Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By Arturo from San Diego, CA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

The washer won't spin if you have a plugged i[ drain. Did you wash something and it fell apart in the washer? That would do it. Another thing is to find you reset button it's usually on the top of the washer - it might look like an open small hole. Take a screw driver and put it inside to click the button. If all else fails it's probably the belt on the motor. If you don't have anyone to take apart your machine call a repair guy - cost appx. $109.00.

March 23, 2011 Flag

I have a Frigidaire Gallery stackable washer/dryer and the the washer will not go through the spin cycle. What's involved in that kind of repair?

By TLaborde from Baton Rouge, LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 9, 2011 Flag

I overloaded my Kenmore stackable washer and on the spin cycle it quit working and won't start again. What can I do?

By Denise from Rockport, TX

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

Call someone to service it! (08/21/2010)

By MCW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2010 Flag

My washing machine is a GE. The final rinse and spin does not work, leaving the clothes completely soaked. Is it fixable or should I buy another machine?

By K Crowe from Massapequa Park, NY

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

At the price of new washers, it is always cheaper to have it fixed. (05/15/2010)

By MCW

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I had a Kenmore that developed a similar problem of not working when it came to a certain point in the cycle. It was a bad timer. My husband called Sears, ordered a new timer for my particular make and model, we picked it up the following week, and he changed the timer. Worked for years! (05/15/2010)

By hamnurse

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

This happened to me at one time, and it was the pump that pumps the water out. This caused the spin cycle to not kick on. I fixed this myself. The part was about 20.00. Just take the front panel off the washer. The pump was located near the bottom. Good luck! (05/17/2010)

By kimnwill

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 15, 2010 Flag

My washer will empty the water, but the tub does not spin. The switch will activate when depressed, and after releasing the switch the motor will continue to run, but the tub still doesn't spin. Please help.

By Gary from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

It could be something as simple as a broken belt, but also a more expensive fix like the transmission. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 15, 2010 Flag

My washing machine washes fine, but it doesn't spin, it just leaves the clothes wet. How do I fix it?

By Glenroi from South Amboy, NJ

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I had the same thing to happen to me several weeks ago. Fortunately, I was pretty sure what was wrong with mine. There is a safety switch on the inside of your machine, right close to the upper rim of the tub. If you will look at your lid, you will see, usually, a small piece of plastic that fits in a slot when you close the lid. (Where the plastic pushes down on the switch.) It activates your washer.

With the lid up, find the slot, and insert something non-metallic into the slot and push down. Hold it down. I used a pencil. Make sure that the machine is in the spin cycle. If it starts pumping water out and goes into the spin cycle, then this switch is your problem. It is very easy to change out. Sorry the instructions aren't any better. Good Luck, Kathy, MS. (01/28/2010)

By msfixit17

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 23, 2010 Flag

My washing machine will not spin on the spin cycle. It just "squeals" like something is moving, but it is not the agitator. Do I need a new belt? If so, is this a DIY project?
Thanks.

By Jim from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I have fixed this same problem for several people, not too hard for the do it yourself in you. First, your machine is probably a direct drive, most are in the last 15 years. You need to take the cabinet off the frame, there are 2 snaps that hold the water pump to the (shaft). Behind that is a coupler with three prongs on it, one or all have worn out, so it will never spin out. Get on Sears Direct Parts site and order that coupler around $15.00. You will find that this is relatively an easy repair that saved you more money for Christmas. Good luck. (12/14/2009)

By EF

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2009 Flag

How do I repair my washing machine? It washes, but does not spin dry or empty the water in the machine.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2009 Flag

My washing machine washes, but will not empty or spin. How can I fix it?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2009 Flag

My washer, which has not given my one bit of a problem after 15 years, is in need of a repair. When I wash a load of clothes, the motor runs just fine and the laundry goes through a full cycle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 19, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 8, 2006 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2006 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersMarch 23, 2011
Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:14:24 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.