Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

By arturo 1

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By Arturo from San Diego, CA

Filter Sort

By darla 6 Flag

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gloria Z 10 257 Flag

The washer won't spin if you have a plugged i[ drain. Did you wash something and it fell apart in the washer? That would do it. Another thing is to find you reset button it's usually on the top of the washer - it might look like an open small hole. Take a screw driver and put it inside to click the button. If all else fails it's probably the belt on the motor. If you don't have anyone to take apart your machine call a repair guy - cost appx. $109.00.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My Frigidaire gallery front loading washing machine will not run its spin cycle. i don't want to pay for a repairman if i don't need to. Please help.

Rich from Cape Cod

Answers:

RE: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My daughters did that also, they had to get a repair man to replace the "drive belt that had broken on the inner tub pulley's". Good luck but it sounds like you will have to call a reapairman. (12/11/2006)

By Paula Jo Carr, Mebane NC USA

My 6 year old Frigidaire washing machine suddenly starts to not completely wring out the water after a complete wash cycle.

Sidneiye from CA

Answers:

My washer did that. I had it checked out. The water pump had gone out on it. (06/26/2006)

By ness1up2

Could also be that the belt needs to be replaced. That happened to my machine. (06/26/2006)

By Mary

It could simply be that the hose, or the drain pipe it goes to, is clogged. This has happened to me. Some lint gets through and after a time it can build up. (06/27/2006)

By pam2cats

My washing machine won't spin on the colors cycle, it will spin on whites and delicates.

Beth from Nashville, TN

Answers:

Request: Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

(format_html)My 6 year old Frigidaire washing machine suddenly starts to not completely wring out the water after a complete wash cycle.

Sidneiye from CA

Answers:

By ness1up2

By Mary

By pam2cats

(09/27/2006)

By moderator

If the other spin cycles work, it could be the timer.
You would have to replace the timer.

If you can limp buy for awhile, you may be able to turn the dial and spin the colors on the white cycle.
This does not correct the problem but it's cheaper than a new timer ... for awhile anyway!

You can do a Google search for Repair Clinic and view the appliance you have a problem with. Gives you lots of suggestions.

Consider the age of your machine versus the repair costs.

(09/28/2006)

By Syd

If it works completely on one wash cycle, it should work the same on the other, but doesn't, which indicates to me that it's in the circuit board and likely a switch problem. Hope I'm wrong! Good luck and God bless you. : ) (10/01/2006)

By Lynda

My washer, which has not given my one bit of a problem after 15 years, is in need of a repair. When I wash a load of clothes, the motor runs just fine and the laundry goes through a full cycle. When it is supposed to spin, it just makes this loud clicking noise and does not spin. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong. There is no problem with the machine filling or draining.

Should I call a repairman or just get a new machine? I know it's old, but has been a great machine up to now, and has never needed anything. The motor works fine. I'm not sure if the agitator moves or not. Would it make a difference? Please advise me on what to do. I really do not want to invest in another machine if it's worth fixing this one.

Susan from AR

Feedback:

If your machine is 15 years old the parts may not be available to replace them. (05/22/2007)

By JMRoss

Very same thing happened to our daughter who called a repair man. It was a knee high that locked everything up on the washer. Now it works fine. It was probably 7 years old when this happened: not old, but not new either. (05/22/2007)

By Paula Jo C., Mebane, NC

Could be the motor actually. My washing machine stopped working on spin cycle although the wash cycle up till then worked perfectly. The engineer we called out (from the company) replaced it with a new motor as he said that overtime, with some overloaded washing, the motor didn't have enough power to spin although it did have enough power to wash.

At the moment, not sure how true it is since we're not techie people, but I guess have to trust the guy since he put in a new one, and it now works fine. Apparently some motors have problems with carbon brushes that just need to be replaced, so do look into those too. (10/01/2007)

By Mo

The spin filter is clogged with lint. (11/01/2008)

By Kathleen

If the washer washes, drains, doesn't spin, rinses, drains and again doesn't spin, then it sounds like a solenoid that isn't switching it into the spin cycle. (02/03/2009)

By

I had the same problem. The machine will do the washing cycle. At the start of the spin cycle it would start turning with a lot of clicking sounds and then would stop spinning. The water pump would continue working without problem. The motor tries to start again in about three minutes, however, repeats the same behavior.

I have a reasonable mechanical and electrical knowledge. I was sure that the overload protection switch of the motor was tripping. I opened up my machine, a GE super capacity top loading machine. Took off the belt and turned the transmission pulley. It turned easily in both directions (washing and spinning). Hence, the transmission was good. Next, I checked any water accumulation in the spin tub. If the water is not drained properly before the spin cycle, it would overload the motor. There was no water clogged in the spin tub. Finally, I dismantled the electric motor. There was a clutch assembly underneath the motor pulley. I dismantled it and found the clutch very dirty with some grease that had turned sticky. I cleaned the assembly thoroughly with alcohol and assembled back the machine. The machine is running perfectly after that.

Conclusion: The clutch assembly was mis-functioning.

Reason: When the spin cycle starts, the spin tub is very heavy and cannot achieve the full speed quickly. On the other hand, electric motors must get to their running speed fairly quickly or else overheating of motor would happen. A proper functioning clutch allows the motor to run at their optimal speed while transferring enough torque to the spin tub to slowly speed up the tub to its fullest. In my case, the clutch was sticky, thus overloading the motor which would trip as it overheats.

(03/01/2009)

By RoboMan

My washing machine washes, but will not empty or spin. How can I fix it?

By Timothy B. from Tampa, FL

Feedback:

Depending on the models the earlier models had brake shoes in the bottom of the machine. If you tip the machine over you can see them. If they are worn, they don't engage and so may need replacing; these were on about 20 year old machines.

One of the problems with the newer models is that they have a cut out switch when you lift the lid. If this is broken the machine won't engage in the spin cycle so it isn't an expensive part to replace that could be worth checking. A volt meter would quickly tell you if it was working or not. It is just a basic switch.

The other problem that happens is that the pump is blocked ie., some hair and may need cleaning. They stop if they are blocked. I think they have a sensor, but once unblocked they are fine. So that is a couple of ideas to start with regards, Rustyreks New Zealand (07/22/2009)

By rustyreks

We just had that problem and I think my husband put the old transmission from another one in it. Until he fixed it I had to stand there with a pencil or something pointy and hold it in the hole in the top to make it spin. (07/22/2009)

By lindybell

I just had mine fixed. The lever that holds the lid closed while the wash spins and empties had broken. The part cost $25, labor $60. (07/22/2009)

By tennesue

How do I repair my washing machine? It washes, but does not spin dry or empty the water in the machine.

By tarre from HI

Feedback:

Chances are your spin mechanism switch (not the real name) has or is going out. When you lift the lid on the washer, on the inside, where the lid closes down, there should be a recessed area with a plastic piece. Push that down and hold it with a pencil and see if the water spins out. If so, look online for a new switch, most models show a picture of the parts and you can pick what you need, most of them you can replace with a screwdriver. (10/26/2009)

By lmiller1978

My washing machine will not spin on the spin cycle. It just "squeals" like something is moving, but it is not the agitator. Do I need a new belt? If so, is this a DIY project?
Thanks.

By Jim from Pittsburgh, PA

Feedback:

I have fixed this same problem for several people, not too hard for the do it yourself in you. First, your machine is probably a direct drive, most are in the last 15 years. You need to take the cabinet off the frame, there are 2 snaps that hold the water pump to the (shaft). Behind that is a coupler with three prongs on it, one or all have worn out, so it will never spin out. Get on Sears Direct Parts site and order that coupler around $15.00. You will find that this is relatively an easy repair that saved you more money for Christmas. Good luck. (12/14/2009)

By EF

My washing machine washes fine, but it doesn't spin, it just leaves the clothes wet. How do I fix it?

By Glenroi from South Amboy, NJ

Feedback:

I had the same thing to happen to me several weeks ago. Fortunately, I was pretty sure what was wrong with mine. There is a safety switch on the inside of your machine, right close to the upper rim of the tub. If you will look at your lid, you will see, usually, a small piece of plastic that fits in a slot when you close the lid. (Where the plastic pushes down on the switch.) It activates your washer.

With the lid up, find the slot, and insert something non-metallic into the slot and push down. Hold it down. I used a pencil. Make sure that the machine is in the spin cycle. If it starts pumping water out and goes into the spin cycle, then this switch is your problem. It is very easy to change out. Sorry the instructions aren't any better. Good Luck, Kathy, MS. (01/28/2010)

By msfixit17

My washer will empty the water, but the tub does not spin. The switch will activate when depressed, and after releasing the switch the motor will continue to run, but the tub still doesn't spin. Please help.

By Gary from Indianapolis, IN

Feedback:

It could be something as simple as a broken belt, but also a more expensive fix like the transmission. (04/16/2010)

By Coll3

My washing machine is a GE. The final rinse and spin does not work, leaving the clothes completely soaked. Is it fixable or should I buy another machine?

By K Crowe from Massapequa Park, NY

Feedback:

At the price of new washers, it is always cheaper to have it fixed. (05/15/2010)

By MCW

I had a Kenmore that developed a similar problem of not working when it came to a certain point in the cycle. It was a bad timer. My husband called Sears, ordered a new timer for my particular make and model, we picked it up the following week, and he changed the timer. Worked for years! (05/15/2010)

By hamnurse

This happened to me at one time, and it was the pump that pumps the water out. This caused the spin cycle to not kick on. I fixed this myself. The part was about 20.00. Just take the front panel off the washer. The pump was located near the bottom. Good luck! (05/17/2010)

By kimnwill

open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersMarch 23, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 6:53:35 PM on 10.0.0.227 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings