Use Stevia Instead of Sugar

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using Stevia (Truvia) as an artificial sweetener. I hate all the commercial sweeteners out there. I can't get over the aftertaste, but want to watch the calories. Does anyone have any personal experience with using Stevia? Thanks so much.

By jess from Hillsboro, OR

Best Answer

Hello. I also use stevia, but not the Truvia brand. I use Sweet Leaf, which I buy in the health food section of my grocery store. Sweet Leaf is organic and does not contain any sugar or anything artificial like colorings, etc. It has a glycemic index of 0, so if you are a diabetic, it is safe to use it. While it can be used in cold foods like iced tea, I find that it works better in warm or hot foods, like coffee or hot tea. I know that some people use stevia to cook and bake, but I have not used it that way.

There are cookbooks available for using stevia. I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and find that it helps me to keep everything under control a little better. It also tastes really good and I find myself using half as much stevia as I would sugar, because it is so sweet. Good luck with stevia. If you would like to try it but are not sure, why not go to the website and see if you can request a sample of their product to try rather than buying some the first time?

Bowl of Stevia granules next to a sprig of stevia leaf
Using Stevia Instead of Sugar
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingJune 26, 2009
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Stevia Leaves
Stevia Leaves Turning Brown