Bathroom Paint Color Advice to Tone Down Pink Countertop

My daughter is renting a condo with a salmon marble counter top in the bathroom. What color paint would make this counter top look less pink?

By Adalyn from Fountain Valley, CA

Brown or green (not pastels!) should help tone it down. Another great place to get some ideas is the paint counter at your hardware store; grab samples! Good luck, salmon pink is a challenge!

Choose a super lightened version of the salmon/pink color, but match the color carefully. You will be amazed how it takes away from the intensity you don't care for. You don't want any color that contrasts with the salmon, that will only make it stronger. Then you can add your accent colors. Or you could find a wallpaper with light background but small bits of the salmon in the design, that would also draw the attention away.

I would suggest going to a paint store with wallpaper books and check out a few books. That way you will have lots and lots of samples to compare with the countertop. Look through the books at the store and get books that have the salmon color in them so they will also have co-ordinating colors and papers. The clerks should be able to point you in the right direction and give you some advice also. Be careful with using a brown with too much red or it will only tend to pull your salmon out more.

Being this is a rental are you allowed to paint. I kind of look at it like this in rentals a person can't be too fussy about colors. I have lived in rentals since 1983, and have given up trying to work with colors, they have all been neutrals, but there are times I would like some color on the walls. I could paint, but then when I move I would have to repaint back to the neutral, so I live with it.

How about adding decorative elements on the countertops so you block most of it?

I agree with EGGZ, a lighter version of that color will take the harsh effect of the salmon color away. Also she could find some colorful prints to hang on the walls with other colors to distract from the salmon. Once she does this she may even like the salmon counter top:)

Bathroom Paint Color Advice, Several paint cans, paint chip cards, and a roller and brush.
Bathroom Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceMay 30, 2010
Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Bathroom Tiles
Bathroom Tile Color Advice
Yellow Bathroom Floor
Bathroom Floor Color Advice