General AdviceConsumer Advice

Air Mattresses Recommendations and Alternatives

My son in Houston, TX still has no electric power in his apt. because of hurricane Ike. He's now sleeping on a friend's floor because the power and air conditioning have been turned on there. A sleeping bag on top of blankets isn't thick enough.

Do you have any air mattress recommendations or alternate suggestions? I would prefer something that can be stored easily. Local stores are all out of this type of equipment, so I am planning on shipping it.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Your son might be able to find a cheap thick comforter at a Salvation Army or GoodWill Store in his area. If he doubled it over it would be thick enough to take the place of an air mattress.

I recently bought the Coleman Queen Size Double-High Air Bed from WalMart. The internet add is more expensive than what I found in stores. The great thing about a double high is even if it deflates a little through the night your son will not wake up on the floor like with typical air mattresses. Also it fits in a small bag that can be stored in a closet. Good luck!!!!

Susan

Dallas, TX

http://www.walm  eman+air+matress

Send him a pool float! That's what I use when we go camping. If the stores are all out for the season, maybe a friend has an extra one? Just be sure to blow it up first to make sure it doesn't have a leak.

I got some Eddie Bauer ones at Target on clearance a year ago. I know they still carry this brand. The air blower comes with it and it takes batteries. They are really strong and durable. My daughter has taken hers on camp outs. She put this down on a ground cover sheet and slept on top with her sleeping bag. Once deflated it can be rolled up and stored away.

I hope things get better for him. You are a good mother. I know you worry.

The one I have is from a company called AeroBed. It is a very nice one and has served me well for the last 5 years. Has an attached pump at the foot that you plug in and inflates in a matter of seconds. When you are done with it, pop open the de-flate valve, roll it back up and stick it back in the handy carrying bag. Can't remember what I paid for it but should I ever need one again, I'm looking to AeroBed.

I just checked online and the companies name is Aero Products International, Inc.

Best of luck in getting yourself one.

Another idea to consider is an ottoman cot. Plow and Hearth has one and it would be a useful piece of furniture afterwards. www.plowandhearth.com search item #30209 or #32303. Good luck and hopefully he'll be back in his own bed soon!!

Aerobed is the best! Get the one has the pump already installed in it. Just plug it in a turn the knob to blow up or to deflate it. They are awesome. My son got an apartment and did not take his bed so I gave him my aero bed and he loves it! Good luck! Cathy

Have him place the friends sofa cushions on the floor. Cover the cushions with half of a flat sheet and cover with the other sheet half draping him. Good luck to him!

If walmart has some type of air mattress, and a manual/foot pump, Walmart could direct send to him or the closest Walmart, so he can do pick up at no cost for shipping if you do the store to store. Good luck oh they also have futons. This would really save on shipping good luck.

Hiker's mats! Like a yoga mat, they are dense foam, require no blowup, and they make a lot of difference for little weight - so they will ship cheap.