Towels That Recommend "Avoid Contact With Skin Treatment Products"

I purchased Martha Stewart low twist towels and much to my dismay the care label states AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN TREATMENT PRODUCTS. I have never seen this before and I don't know what products they are referring to? Needless to say the towels were returned to Macy's immediately. What is that all about? Has this happened to anyone else?

Marion

Many of the skin treatment products, especially for acne, will bleach fabrics. I would think that if your present towels are not suffering the ill effects of such "contact", the new ones would be fine as well.

I guess Martha just wants her towels to stay as perfect as they are now!

I thought maybe she was talking about the tanning treatments people use at home hmmmm?

I hadn't even thought of those. Yes, I bet they'd stain, too!

Often a skin treatment lotion or cream will have, "May stain clothing", printed on the label.

Some sunblock products that had PABA leave an orange stain on fabrics.

When my son was living at home, he used a prescription cream for acne on his face and it bleached out the colors of face towels and the top sheet of his bed linens. It took me a long time to finally figure out what caused the problem. This was before the sunblock era.

I think it was a good thing that the towels stated this. It is a warning to you that the products you use for acne, cleansing, etc, will bleach out your towels, and that it is not the towel manufacturer's fault, nor the fault of the person doing the laundry. If you refer back to various posts on Thrifty Fun, you will see many people have had problems with "bleach spots" and there are many family fights about this, and it is all the fault of those skin products.

Marion -- the first time this happened to me, I was using Proactive face wash. I didn't understand why certain parts of my towel were splotchy and bleached. Finally I figured out that it was the face wash I was using. I don't know if all acne washes do it, but Proactive is primarily benzoyl peroxide. This just trashed my towels. It did it to the expensive ones and the cheap ones. Drugstore acne washes are mostly salicylic acid, so I don't know if that ingredient bleaches towels. But I would guess that's one of the things the towel label was referring to.

My sons ProActive acne solution did this to the towels & the collers of his shirts.

Trish in CT

Friday

5/16

6:53pm

I bought a vacuum cleaner with a warning notice that said, avoid contact with the electric cord. Wash hands if you touch it. Do not let children or pets touch the cord. They weren't referring to getting a shock by chewing on the cord, they meant touching the cord at all. I took it it back to the store.

This has happened to our towels, etc. What can be done with these "tyed-dyed" towels? I also think hair products might have something to do with the bleaced out splotches?

Consumer Advice Product ComplaintsMay 8, 2008
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Reusable Absorbent Towels
Make Reusable Absorbent Towels
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
🎄