Browsing: Getting More Life from Batteries

Does Putting Batteries In The Freezer Extend Their Life?

My question is... Does putting batteries in the freezer extend their life? I have been told that it does. Can someone answer this question. Thank you,

Mary

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi Mary,

I read recently that putting them in the freezer or refrigerator does not extend their life, however, I still do that. lol

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I read that it is best to keep them at room temperature. They are exposed to moisture in the refrigerator or freezer.

Storing Batteries

Jim Tessmar is the owner of The Battery Hut in Burbank, Calif. Here he offers us advice on how to store batteries properly:

* Myths. According to Tessmar, there are a lot of battery storage myths out there, but the most prevalent one is that you should keep your batteries in the refrigerator or freezer. While this may have been sound advice in the old days, battery technology has changed over the years, and cold storage is no longer the place for batteries.

* Room temperature. The best place to keep batteries is somewhere thats dry and at room temperature, like a kitchen cabinet.

* Heat and flame. Never keep your batteries in extreme heat or near an open flame. Tessmar believes that the chances of explosion due to heat are slim, but it does happen, and youre always better off safe than sorry.

* Long life. Quality batteries are made to have long shelf lives. Stored properly in your kitchen drawer or similar location, batteries can last from 3 to 5 years and still work great when you put them into a device. Many brands have sell-by dates on the package, and these can help you determine if youve still got fresh, strong batteries on your hands.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/reju ... cle/0,1663,FINE_1422_1466497,00.html

This is a cool old school link on the topic

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/scienceservice/003016.htm

Freezing batteries usually kills them. I accidentally left some out in our garage for a few days - the air temperature was around -15 'C (A home freezer should be about -18 'C). When I tried them, they were all dead.

Getting More Life from Batteries
Getting More Life from Batteries
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Recycling Car Batteries, old battery
Recycling Car Batteries
Swiffer Wet Jet
Changing the Batteries on a Swiffer Wet Jet
Several different sized batteries.
Organizing Batteries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:46:02 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.