Browsing: Foodsaver Tips and Tricks

Are Food Saver Machines Worth It?

I would like feedback on the food saver machines. Do they really do what they say? Is it frugal or expensive to use the bags, canisters, etc.?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I've had a food saver for about 5 years now and absolutely LOVE it. My 2 kids have grown up and moved away from home and now my husband and I do one big shopping a month at a wholesale store and separate the meats into enough for the two of us. I even freeze leftovers in the bags. Just make sure that you freeze liquids first, before putting it in the food saver bags. I really don't think the bags are that expensive, because you can wash them really well and use them over and over. Hope this helps.

holzshu

Oh, YES, they will become your new best friend.

Just be sure to get the one that you can use the large mouth jar sealer on Mason jars.

Food lasts a long time in the freezer without developing freezer burn ... like 2 years. The bags can be washed and reused, but you have to be careful when packaging meats with sharp bones, shrimp, fish, etc., because without a protective covering (an old plastic bag) you can get pin holes in the bags that will take on air.

I limit what I use bags for, since they are more expensive than jars ... you don't want to vacuum seal items for short term use or freeze relatively cheap items. Bread is not an item that vacuums well...hockey pucks!

There is a Yahoo Group for the Food Saver you can join too! Lots of nice people and good tips.

The bags can be bought at Sam's Club & Costco for a box of several sizes much cheaper than buying the individual rolls at say, Wal-Mart.

I use a lot of Mason jars for short term storage and freeze left-over soup, etc. in pints for individual servings. A few jars in the freezer is OK, don't get carried away and try to store too many!

Tilia is the distributor and does informercials ... don't buy from them; they are very high plus have shipping charges. Shop around and they have specials. Prices vary ... buy the best you can afford.

You won't be sorry.

I have had my Foodsaver for about 2 years, and wouldn't know what to do with out it. I just this weekend went to the farmers market and stocked up on fruits and vegetables which I then came home a portioned packed. I also routinely buy meat in bulk at Costco, and then repackage into packages for 1 or 2. I received mine as a present and must say it is the best present ever.

Mine is a lemon it wont seal wont vacuum even tried walmart GV bags - no luck with these. In my opinion zip lock bags at Dollar Generak are a better investment

Yes, definitely. If you have a Costco buy it from them. You can also buy online from them. The price is around $134.00 but you get the top of the line model with 3 canisters and two rolls of bags. If you ever have any problems just take it back and exchange it. They are GREAT about returns.

Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Foodsaver Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 30, 2004
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
Repairing a PFAFF Sewing Machine
Repairing a Pfaff Sewing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:56:11 PM on 10.0.2.224 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.