Mikata's Japanese Restaurant Style Salad Dressing

I need the recipe for the salad dressing at Mikata's. It has orange juice, orange zest, and I think rice wine vinegar. Does anyone know how to make it? It is great.

By sapoc from Moultrie, GA

I found these 2 on-line...I've never heard of this dressing, but it intrigues me--seems great for my WW Plan!

Mikatas Japanese Steakhouse Honey Mustard Dressing'

10 min prep-2 servings

ingredients:

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or stone ground mustard

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to taste

1 whole peppercorn, optional (Black,white, green and or or pink)

preparation:

Blend honey and mustard in a small bowl with a fork until emulsified.

Drizzle in the balsamic vinegar until dressing is just thin enough to pour over salad.

Taste and add more vinegar if desired.

Crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder.

Mix in dressing and drizzle on salad.

I hope this is close

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed

1 garlic clove, minced

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

Store in refrigerator.

This is a recipe I founds years ago in the sunday paper. It was described as "used in stakhouses like Benihana of Tokyo." I usually make a double batch since we go through it so fast. Enjoy!

Steakhouse Salad Dressing

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup salad oil (any kind)

1/4 cup either cider or rice vinegar

3/4 teaspoon tomato paste

1/3 medium onion

1/4 fresh lemon - just juice and pulp, no skin

1/4 fresh orange - just juice and pulp, no skin

Fresh ginger, about a 1-inch piece or less, depending on taste

In blender, combine all ingredients except ginger. Blend until liquefied. Grate ginger to taste and stir into dressing. You can prepare this recipe a day in advance, if you prefer. The dressing thickens as time goes on. If fresh ginger is not available, fresh minced ginger in a jar works fine, also. 1-1 1/2 teaspoon seems to take the place of fresh ginger.

June 24, 2009 Flag

I am desperately looking for a recipe for the salad dressing they serve in Mikata's Japanese Restaurants. I've found several copycat Japanese salad dressing recipes, but they are pinkish/orange in color (similar to the shrimp sauce). Does anyone know how to make the white salad dressing?

Monica from Dothan, AL

Answers:

I am wondering if what your talking about is actually white or if it has a very slight green tint to it? If so, I think it's called Wasabi dressing and I have an easy recipe for it. It sounds like it would be hot or spicy because of the Wasabi, but the other ingredients would make it more sweet.

I haven't actually tried this recipe yet, but I have all the ingredients in my kitchen and can make a batch for a taste test to see if it's the same as what I've had in restaurants for you. If it is, it's yummy and I'll bet you would like it. Just click my contact button if you're interested. (11/25/2008)

By Deeli

I have lived In Japan for most of my life.
I wonder if what you have had is not actually salad dressing, but something we dip our food in when eating what is sometimes called Mongolian Hot Pot. We call it SHABU SHABU sauce. It is slightly nutty and tangy and this comes from the vinegar and sesame seeds being ground together. It looks slightly beige.

I would try the local Asian Market and ask for SHABU SHABU sauce. You will find it in a little fat jar with a picture of someone dipping meat into a plate of sauce. Even if this isn't your dressing, you might find it a good alternative. I doctor it any way I want. I do know that it is used for dressing on salad in Japan. I have eaten it that way. (12/02/2008)

By Tim from Science Hill

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat CondimentsJune 24, 2009
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Japanese Restaurant Style Shrimp with  Sauce
Japanese Restaurant Style Shrimp Sauce Recipe
🎉
🎄