Water Rings on Unfinished Table

I have two water rings (from this morning) on my coffee table and they're many shades lighter than the color of the wood. The table has no varnish to begin with and is old. When I took a cloth to get rid of the water on the surface some color actually came off. Surprisingly the table is an expensive one and to add to my desperation isn't mine.

So I'm wondering if the towel/iron or hair dryer method will work as well as it does with tables that actually have a protective coat of varnish? Also, some sites say to use steam and some say definitely no steam, so I'm totally confused.

By Peanut1314 from NY

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

If no one comes up with the answer to your question, instead of experimenting on your own and possibly causing more damage to the table, you might want to confess to the owner and let him/her determine how they want to deal with the situation.

Boy oh boy, I wouldn't touch that table for anything! I'd just tell the owner and let the chips fall where they will. You could totally ruin it. If it's unfinished THEY might be able to clean it really well with something like Murphy's Oil Soap and get it all the same color but I sure wouldn't do it if I were you.

Thank you for the responses. I ended up calling the furniture store where the table was bought and they gave me the number of the guy that takes care and fixes all their stuff so he came I over and looked it. I'm expecting him today. It'll cost me, but definitely not as much as a new table would. I'm relieved.

Thank you

Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesMay 1, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making an Orc Costume (Lord of the Rings)
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Blue ribbon and snowflake napkin ring
Homemade Napkin Ring Ideas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:21:52 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.