Fleas in Carpet

Will baking soda kill fleas in my carpet?

By Mandy from VA

No but I hear that borax powder will do the job. Just sprinkle it on and leave it for an hour, then vacuum.

Borax works well as does diatomaceous earth which you can usually find at your local hardware/greenhouse.

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get fleas out of my carpet?

By Jason from Centerville, IA

Answers:

Fleas in Carpet

Vacuum often. Some people put a piece of flea collar in the vacuum bag, but so far, just plain vacuuming has worked fine for me. My home has three cats and two dogs so I vacuum every three days and have no fleas. (06/09/2010)

By lapaz

June 8, 2010 Flag

Will removing carpet get rid of fleas?

By caroline1973 from Bristol, VA

Answers:

Fleas in Carpet

Whether a room has carpet or hardwood floor means nothing as far as a flea problem goes. Fleas will develop where ever the host animal spends time. Treat the pet with Frontline or Advantage. Treat the flooring with an aerosol floor treatment for fleas that will contain the growth regulator. Treat yard if animal is spending time outside. (09/18/2009)

By larflu

Fleas in Carpet

The life cycle of the flea is egg, larva, pupa, and adult The floors need to be treated with a product that also contains an insect growth regulator (IGR). The insecticide in the product will last around two weeks. The IGR will keep eggs from hatching, keep the larva from entering the pupa stage. The ones that are already in the pupa stage are protected from anything you do.

As they emerge from the pupa stage they will get into the the residual from the treatment and die. Jump on the pet where the product you have on it will kill the flea, or the flea will jump on you where you will remove and kill it. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. This helps to stimulate the ones that are ready to emerge to go ahead and emerge to either once again get into the residual or get sucked up into the vacuum.

In the 21 + years I have been doing pest control I have never suggested putting a chemical inside the vacuum to kill the ones sucked up and have never seen an infestation to continue on from the vacuum. The studies out there actually show that no matter what style or brand of vacuum used the fleas are usually done in. (09/18/2009)

By larflu

Fleas in Carpet

Having animals all my life and having to deal with fleas, we have found that using table salt was really good. The salt dehydrates them. What we do is sprinkle in the carpet, couch, and on the bed *under our sheets*. Then let it sit over night. Next day vacuum it up. If necessary repeat weekly, but I've only had to do it like twice in 6 months. It has worked wonders! (09/20/2009)

By itzy

September 17, 2009 Flag

I need help with fleas. I just got new kitten. Have been bathing her with special, natural flea shampoo, however there are still fleas in the house. Does anyone know the life cycle of a flea? Do fleas die if they do not have anyone to feed on? I am away from my house 4 days a week, kitten is staying with family. How do I get rid of fleas in my carpet? Is bombing the only way to get rid of them in carpeting?

By RealtorRose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

Fleas in Carpet

I don't know if this works or not as I haven't had a need to use it, but I read somewhere that you want to put a pan of water on the floor underneath a plug in nightlight. The fleas will be attracted to the light and jump up to the light (or maybe it's the heat the light puts out), and then they will fall or bounce off the light into the pan of water and drown.

Also, this I do know that works, is vacuum often. (08/05/2009)

By scottish skinflint

Fleas in Carpet

Hi. I think you can put baby talc powder on the carpet and vacuum. I believe the talc in the powder kills them, so they won't just crawl back out of the vacuum. Also, you can call your local community extension office. You'd be surprised at the wealth of information they have. They can give you natural ways to treat/get rid of things that won't harm animals and children. Good luck with getting rid of them! (08/05/2009)

By dellajo

Fleas in Carpet - pets

Could you use the talc powder on the pets? (08/05/2009)

By kelli8850

Fleas in Carpet

These suggestions came from my "bug man":

1. Put ONE mothball in your vacuum cleaner bag and vacuum your house thoroughly - especially carpet and upholstery. The mothball will kill the flea eggs as they hatch in the vacuum cleaner bag.

2. After vacuuming, sprinkle crumbled oregano on your carpet and leave it there. You can mix it with baking soda as a deodorizer and that also helps thin it to spread more easily.

3. Fleas do not like marigolds (relative or oregano) and planting them around the outside of your home will also help keep them at bay.

4. If they are living on your kitten you are going to have to treat her regularly with flea shampoo and a KITTEN flea collar for the time being.

Hope that helps. I wouldn't bomb my house unless absolutely necessary as you will have chemicals everywhere. I would recommend you have an exterminator come once if the above doesn't take care of your problem. A little more money than bombing, but way less clean up afterward. (08/05/2009)

By DownSouth

Fleas in Carpet

There is a website that has excellent answers to these type of questions using natural products. It's called www.Dirtdoc.com. Also, I keep one of those flea collars (cut up) in my vacuum cleaner bag. They say if you vacuum them up they will continue to live in the bag if you don't kill them, and they'll go right back into the carpet. I live in West Texas and so far this summer my dog has not gotten any fleas. I use Intersepter pill that I get from the vet. May not have spelled that right. (08/05/2009)

By TXBetty

Fleas in Carpet

Mix regular table salt and baking soda in equal amounts, then sprinkle this on your carpets and any fabric furniture. Let this set for 48 to 72 hours so you get any babies that hatch. Then vacuum up. This mixture actually causes the fleas to dehydrate and dry up. It won't hurt your pets or family. Just make sure the dogs or cats don't lick the carpet. Most animals won't lick it but I have known a few that really liked it so they had to be watched or kenneled during the process. (08/05/2009)

By palbertsen

Fleas in Carpet

Keep Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled on your floors and carpets. It will kill the fleas and keep the new ones from being able to breed because they will die. It will take a few weeks. Also, you have to keep the animals from getting fleas or keep them from breeding. Make sure that you don't use the DE powder for pools. Get it from Worm's Way or a similar place. (08/08/2009)

By way2buzy

August 4, 2009 Flag

To get rid of fleas in your carpet, sprinkle salt on it and let it sit over night. Vacuum it up in the morning and the salt kills any fleas in your carpet.

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasAugust 12, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄