Can You Hand Wash Velvet?

Can you hand wash velvet that is "dry clean only"? Has anyone ever tried? I don't have a lot to lose as this is a runner that was on sale.

Let me know if you have tried with success or failure to wash your velvet fabric.

Thank you!

Ginny

I have before. Of course I wash MOST things that are "dry clean only." Just make sure after wards, you use a soft cloth, like a washcloth and "brush" it!

I don't think I would wash velvet, but I have steamed it and then brushed with a clothes brush. Hope this helps

Here's a good tip from Pioneer Thinking: "Brush good, then hang in a steamy bathroom".

This seems safer than trying to wash it.

Depends what its made of - some velvets are made with synthetic material that washes fine, others are cotton velvet that may end up with marks where the pile has settled in alternate directions. Does it have a label telling you what the fabric is? If you do decide to wash it hand wash, don't rub just swish around in the water and don't wring - drip dry on a flat rack.

Regards

Jo - who doesn't have any dry clean only clothes now - some of them say they are but they all go in the washer with everything else no problem!

Try hand washing it if you are unsure. This has never failed me - a seamstress.

yes. but you have to brush the pile as it's drying, as the pile would stick together. brush gently.

Yes and at this time it looks awful!

Can You machine Wash Cotton Velvet Duvet with dry clean only label?

If I remember right from when I was young real velvet also has to be ironed and that has to be done on the wrong side of the fabric and I think over a bath towel.

velvet jacket
Cleaning Velvet Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 13, 2005
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipes
Recipes Using Red Velvet Cake Mix
Recipes Using Red Velvet Cake Mix
Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle
Homemade Body Wash Recipes
Velvet Chair
Cleaning Velvet Upholstery
🎄