Clothing StainsCleaning

Removing Wax From Washed Clothes

I washed my son's scout shirt and did not know there was a candle in the pocket. It was washed and dried and now has stains all over from the candle, with the largest stain near the pocket. Help. How can I save this shirt?

By KarenB from Richmond, VA

How can I remove candle wax stains from clothing which has been washed several times, without first being treated?

By Christine from England

Answers:

Removing Wax From Washed Clothes

I would pour boiling water over the stains to get some of the residue out, then use an old toothbrush or scrub brush and something like Goo-Gone or some other grease remover and scrub, scrub, scrub. (03/23/2010)

By crinercrew

How do you get candle wax (grease stain) out of clothes after they have been washed and dried?

Nikki from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Answers:

Removing Wax From Washed Clothes

I'm not sure about after they have been washed, but I saw on Good Morning America that if you put a paper towel over the wax, and then iron it, it will come right up. (07/22/2008)

Removing Wax From Washed Clothes

If I understand, the wax is off the fabric, but a grease stain remains. This is an old remedy to get grease stains out of fabric after it has been laundered and the grease stain set in. Treat the area with full strength liquid dish soap (the kind you use when you wash dishes by hand). Rub it in really well and rinse it. You may have to repeat this procedure to get the stain out. Good Luck. Mrs Clean (07/23/2008)

By Kat

Removing Wax From Washed Clothes

Ok, so you've washed and dried the fabric and there's still a stain? Non-Acetone Nail polish remover. Fold up paper towels under the stain then, using a cotton ball soaked in the remover, dab around the stain around and around slowly working into the middle of the stain. Then, gently rub in a few drops of dish soap, let sit a few minutes and re-wash.
This SHOULD take care of it.

Take it from me, I use a LOT of candles and it's never failed me yet. (07/23/2008)

By Shosha

This works!! I have been given a priest's Alb with many thoroughly washed-in candle wax stains and now the stains are barely visible. Thank you!