Why Don't Appliances Last Longer?

Is anyone else having to replace new(er) appliances more quickly than they expected? When we built our new home six years ago, we bought all new name-brand appliances except for the stove. They are not lasting! So far, I have had to replace the microwave, my beloved self-cleaning gas stove (8 years old), the dishwasher and now the water softener. The answer I have received to my question of why is that these appliances are now made with circuit boards and they are much more expensive to repair than replace. Are we that much of a disposable society or am I just choosing the wrong brands? I am beginning to think that those who hang onto their appliances manufactured 15 years ago or longer are going to be real winners in this arena.

Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

I have had to replace a few of my appliances after 10 years and was told that was good for the way they are made today. Six years seems a little short for name brand. However, I was also told, yes it is a disposable world. My dishwasher is about 6 years old and one day all the lights were on on the front panel. I couldn't get it to do anything. After reading the manual and almost unloading and doing them by hand, I happened to see in the manual "if they have to come out for a circuit breaker, there would be a service charge". My husband said it wouldn't be a breaker as all the lights were on, but I went down and flipped the switch back and forth anyway and it worked. I think the memory in the board was confused and didn't know what to do. Works great. Had I not seen that, I would have called a repair man (or bought a new one) and who knows how many dollars it would have cost me. I have a refrigerator downstairs that must be 55 years old. It is probably the reason my electric bill is higher, but it works like a charm. They don't make them like that anymore!

Yes,appliances do not last as long.They call it built in obsolescence.Keeps people working.I have had to toss some appliances because the circuit board was cooked.Either the part was no longer made or it could'nt be repaired.Here is a list of the life of most appliances.The first figure is low,second is high and the last is average life.

Life Expectancy (Years)

Low High Average

Microwaves

5

10

8

Ranges, electric

13

20

16

Ranges, gas

15

23

19

Ranges, hoods

9

19

14

Refrigerators, compact

4

12

8

Refrigerators, standard

10

18

14

Water heaters, electric

6

21

14

Water heaters, gas

5

13

9

Washers

8

16

12

Dryers, electric

11

18

14

Dryers, gas

11

16

13

Dishwashers

9

16

12

Food waste disposers

10

15

13

Freezers

12

20

16

Compactors

7

12

11

Thank you very much for this information! I had no idea but will save that information for the future. It would indeed seem that part of the problem, according to the figures supplied, is the name brand I chose ~ the repairman who initially serviced this line of appliances said that almost all major appliances are now manufactured by only two companies in the US, and that the particular company I selected is reknown for offering an unbeatable "bundling" price (meaning that the more you buy of this one line at the same time, the better the overall price) but that unfortunately when it comes to repairs, they are the most expensive in the industry. I have learned my lesson!

I was told the reason is the obvious. You have to keep replacing them.

Christine IN.

Your only problem is actually using these appliances! If I get more than 4 years out of a dishwasher it is breaking a record.

My uncle, an engineer, said to get the appliance on the low end of the spectrum as it has less parts to break. So far he has had good luck.

also the replacments parts are not good. we have a ge stove about 6-8 years old the handle went . We ordered a replacment which cost a lot. the replacement did not last more then a month and half. this happened 3 times we decided to have a no handel door.

I totally agree with you. I have been in my house for five years and have replaced: the dishwasher, the dryer, the washing machine, and the microwave. It is really sad that it is less expensive to replace than to repair.

I bought my first refridgerator in the '70s. It lasted 18 years. The second lasted 7 years. The third one 5 years. Oh, for a large old-fashioned larder! Marg from England

Built in obsolescence is the answer. And cost or brand have no bearing. I bought a Jenn Air almost 5 years ago at a cost of $2,000. My 3rd Jenn Air and my last. The mother board has been replaced FIVE times already. And when discussing this with customer service, it's "oh well, sorry you are having such trouble" etc. For the same cost I would have been better off purchasing 4 cheap and having stoves for 20 years.

Home Appliances
Saving Money on Home Appliances
Consumer AdviceJune 24, 2006
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
Three vintage appliances in white.
Buying Second Hand Appliances
tennis shoes
Making Your Shoes Last Longer
🎉
🎄