Keep Your Freezer Full To Save On Electricity

Here is a way to be green and prepare for an emergency at the same time. I rinse out 2 liter soda and juice bottles and fill them 2/3 full with clean water. I then lay them almost on their sides (without the lids on tight), leaning against something, in our large freezer. The next day I screw the lids on tight. This keeps my freezer full so that it uses less electricity. The bonus: If we ever have a water outage, I have gallons of water to rely on. I also grab one or two to use in my ice chest when needed.

By Suzy from UT

Top Comment

I used to do this with half gallon milk jugs to keep my freezer full and it truly does save on electricity. However you should never drink water that has been frozen in plastic containers. The cold temperature causes the plastic to break down and that allows it to contaminate the water so while it's good to keep things cold or fill empty space, please don't drink the water after its been frozen in them.

Always use glass containers whenever possible for drinking water. Also be careful where you buy your water from often times you see cases of the water sitting in the hot sun (which also causes the plastic to leach into the water) in front of the gas stations and grocery stores. Yuck!