How Do I Grow Winter Pansies?

First, I don't know if I'm in zone 7a, Tulsa is NE of OK City, which is zone 7a. Anyway, as you can probably already tell by now, I don't know the 1st thing about planting or taking care of flowers.

However, my son is selling pansies for his band fundraiser and I'm sucker enough to buy some because he says he's the only one who hasn't sold anything. But I don't know what to do with them.

It says they are 4 inch pots, with 18 per flat to be delivered the end of Oct. I haven't ordered yet, but figured I'd order 2 flats, 1 dark blue and 1 either yellow or citrus mix.

I have a spot under a tree that faces north in my front yard where they would be nice, but I don't know if that is an appropriate place. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to prepare the ground, how to plant them, how to maintain them over winter and what to do with them when it warms up.

Basically, I don't know anything about pansies, except that I always thought they were pretty and they are edible. I am hoping all you wonderful experts can give me some advice so I don't break my son's heart when I kill his flowers out of ignorance!
Thanks in advance.

By Judy from Tulsa, OK

I have never done anything to prepare the ground for planting flowers other than digging it up. That goes for whatever type of flower that I planted. The main thing is that you have to plant any plant in the amount of sunlight that is required. I would think they would come with directions. If I remember right, pansies require a fair amount of sunlight. I guess I wouldn't worry about it until they arrive and then read the directions. You could also call a nursery and ask them the questions that you have.

Pansies are the first hint of spring besides the bulb flowers that arise. As soon as the snow is gone and the sunshine hits, they peek out. So, depending on the amount of snow you get, sunshine, just prepare a spot like you would summer flowers, dig up the soil, plot out where you want them, they will come back, they will spread out (not grossly).

The amount you plan to order would do a larger sized garden for sure. Plan for about 10 square inches spacing for every 3 plants. They get full and bushy, but not tall (maybe 6-10 inches). Don't make their bed all in one place, they are a happy plant which smile in many places. Make sure they get at least partial sun.

Thanks for the advice!

Pansies
Growing Pansies
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 11, 2010
Growing Violas
Growing Violas
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
chipmunk in snow
Helping Garden Wildlife in the Winter
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
🎉
🎄