Canning Homemade Barbecue Sauce

How do I can homemade BBQ sauce?

By Mary from Doylestown, PA

Best Answer

Hi Mary,

Canning Homemade Barbecue Sauce is very easy. You do it the same as spaghetti sauce. If you need more info, let me know.

Best Answer

We use a lot of bbq sauce & I make mine 5 gallons at a time from a recipe I got from a bbq restaurant I used to work at. Normally, it's a cold-keep sauce but I think the flavor is enhanced by heating it for canning. I always use the water bath method to seal the jars. Process for 10 minutes for pints & 15 minutes for quarts.

Best Answer

Hi. Do you have any experience with canning? If you do, ignore my response, since I'm assuming you don't. It's really important to know exactly what you are doing. This is for safety, but it's also thrifty, since, if you do things wrong, you can lose a whole batch, and all your time and work. There are tons of reliable books at the library and book stores. Your county extension service can help you out. There are reliable resources on line. I wouldn't use any resource more than 10 or 15 years old, or so, since you want to be as safe as possible. I also wouldn't use any old-timey techniques. The way my Grandma did things might have worked for her, but the same technique probably killed other people. People didn't always know the cause of sudden death back then, so it's kind of hard to say.

Canning is a lot of work, but I still do it, and I'm 54, use canes to get around, and have chronic back pain. So it can't be too hard! This year I put up tomato-basil pasta sauce, lots of ketchup and hot sauce, peach jam, and tomato marmalade. Sooo good. When you open a jar of your own canned goods in winter, a little bit of summer leaks out!

Best Answer

Thanks for all the info. I haven't done any canning in a very long time, and was just not sure on how long to process the jars. You were all helpful. Thanks again.

Jar of homemade barbecue sauce
Canning Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Food and Recipes CanningAugust 27, 2010
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries