Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Is this a Christmas tree kit? I got it at a sale a long time ago. No one seems to know what I have, but I just came across your site! Maybe you have the answer. Thanks!

By Suzanne from Lafontaine, IN

I have known people in the past that made those trees out of old costume jewelry. I have always wanted to make one but never seem to have enough of the right kind jewelry to use.

I saw something similar on Antiques Roadshow. It was a sculpture made from old jewelry and other small objects. There was a name for it. I can't remember the name but at one time it was fashionable to make these things from objects that a loved one owned and wore in their lifetime, after they passed on. They are a form of folk art and had a lot of value.

I bought costume jewelery in bulk off Ebay and designed and made my own Christmas trees. I have 3 of them. This was popular back in the 30's and 40's. I don't know if there are kits but I think a persons own imagination, a velvet backed picture frame or shadow box, and some junk jewelery makes it good to go. You can even drill holes in the backing and add some Christmas lights through the back, I use battery operated ones.

Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree
Making a Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree
Crafts ChristmasApril 12, 2011
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Costume Jewelry
Craft Uses for Costume Jewelry