Bathroom Ceiling is Peeling

I just brought a house and added a shower to my bathroom. The ceiling above my shower is now cracking and peeling slowly due to the moisture from the steam. I have a sky light in my bathroom but the previous owners had a hard plastic, light brown material covering the ceiling to prevent cold air or the stop so much sun from coming down in the bathroom from the sky light.

<p>Do I need to remove that plastic material or install a ceiling fan to stop the ceiling from peeling? My bathroom looked nice when it was first done but now it looks bad.</p>

<p>Michelle from Baltimore, MD</p>

Yes, a fan would help. One solution I would consider is to remove the ceiling where you are having the problem, apply a sheet of what is called blue board. It is a water proof product used in place of sheet rock around showers and tubs. Tape and compound the joint. Apply skim coat of plaster and paint with a ceiling paint.

I suggest that you put in an exhaust fan but go bigger than the recommendations. I too have this problem and was told to use a much bigger fan than what is recommended for the size of the bathroom.

Adding a Fan is Great Advise.The First Question though is Why is the paint Peeling in the first place.For Example Is there a window in the bathroom?what sheen is on the ceiling? if it is semi-Gloss it will need to be sanded down..Using a stain blocking primer after that will help seal the drywall.There is no need to use primer over the Stain block .Next when ever painting in a kitchen or shower area you must use Kitchen and bath paint.Reason being it has mildesides in it to prevent Mildew.

(Submitted via email)

Hi, first are you sure you don't have a roof leak/ Make sure there is not water behind the drywall on the ceiling if there is not..Then use stain block primer and a Kitchen and bath paint over that. Thomas

February 23, 2009 Flag

My bathroom ceilings are peeling and it looks like they are cardboard and splitting. Can I just finish pulling the paper off and sand and then fill in the cracks? What can I do myself to fix this problem and can it be fixed?

Bathroom Ceiling Is Splitting and Peeling

You should consider putting in a exhaust fan, if you don't already have one. If you already have the green, water resistant sheet rock then you can sand and make sure to paint with bathroom paint. If not, you might want to consider changing the sheet rock to the one that is water resistant.

By angie79

If this is the same as ours, it was due to there being no exhaust fan in the bathroom. We installed a fan. But we also sanded the ceiling down, then put on two coats of "Killitz", found at hardware stores. Then just to be on the safe side we put two coats of primer on before we painted it. The room looks great and has held up well.

By MrsMoted2

Is there a window in the bathroom? Do you have black spots too (mold?) You are getting moisture. Check to see if anything is leaking from the floor above and make sure that after using Kilz or an equivalent (Loktite) that you paint with a mold reducing paint or put a mold reducing additive in the paint. (03/29/2008)

By Arlene

Drywall in Need of Repair
Repairing Drywall
Home and Garden Home Improvement Dry WallFebruary 23, 2009
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan