Crocheted Lapghan

This was crocheted using Super Saver yarn and a size H hook. It uses 2 colors: one solid, one matching variegated. Works up very quickly and is warm without being heavy. This was made for a friend with cerebral palsy.

Approximate Time: About 14 hours

• 1 skein Super Saver yarn-- solid color (MC)
  • 1 skein Super Saver yarn--variegated color (CC)
  • Size H crochet hook

Row 1: With MC, ch 101. Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across (99 dc).

Row 2: Dc in first 3 dc, *ch 1, skip next dc, dc in each of next 3 dc*, rep from * to * across. Turn.

Row 3: Dc in each st and space across. Join CC. Turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *post tr around the post of next corresponding dc 2 rows below, skip dc behind tr just made, sc in each of next 3 dc in current row, *, rep from * to * across ending with sc in last dc. Turn.

Row 5: Dc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next sc*, rep from * to * across. Join MC. Turn.

Row 6: Dc in first dc, dc in next space, 2 dc in each space across, ec in last dc. Turn.

Repeat rows 2-6 until lapghan measures the length you want, ending with row 3 of pattern. Fasten off.

Border: Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner, sl st in first sc to join.

Weave in ends.

Source: This pattern comes from Crochet Fantasy Afghans magazine, February 1999, #5. The pattern makes into a full size afghan, but I made it smaller to fit on a wheel chair.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I love the afghan and the colors. Is the magazine still available to purchase? Thanks.

Hello, My name is Lois Johnson and I live in Rimrock, Arizona.

I am gathering a group of crocheters and knitters to help make lapghans for our local veteran's hospital and facility.

If they can't crochet, I'll teach them. (I'll need to find a teacher for knitting.) Quilts would be perfect for this application.

If they want to just make granny squares (in the recommended sizes), I will tidy ends, block, sew together and put on an edging.

If they don't have scrap yarn, I will give them a bag.

If they only want to donate money for supplies or donate the supplies, well, God bless their little pea pickin' hearts.

If they'd rather make the whole thing themselves, I'll not be able to thank them enough. The size will need to be 36-40x48-50 and be fully washable.

When the veteran is released, the lapghan goes with them along with a lot of love. These will not be for sale. They will be packaged with lots of love woven into them and a big 'Thank you for your service' on a specially made sew-in tag.

Whew now the question for the owner of this site's crochet patterns. May I use them unknown number of times? If you'd like some pictures of the completed lapghans, I can make that happen.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request.

Lois Johnson

woman in wheelchair with afghan
Making a Wheelchair Lapghan
Crafts Crochet PatternsJanuary 4, 2010
Crocheted Heart Angel
Crocheted Heart Angel
two completed dishcloths
Making a Round Crocheted Dishcloth
Making a Crocheted Clown Nose
Making a Crocheted Clown Nose
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas