Old Fashioned School Salad Dressing

When I was in grade school (in the 70's in Ohio), back when schools made everything from scratch because it was cheaper, the school made a sweet salad dressing that I would love to find the recipe for. It was what made me love salads. It was a clear dressing probably just sugar and oil and vinegar, but I cant find a recipe anywhere that tastes the same. Any suggestions?

By plloyd714 from Erwin, TN

If you can describe the taste a bit I could help search for it. Does it taste similar to French or to Thousand Island? If so, I might even have a couple clear ones in my collection ;-)

I know at my old school it was watered down french dressing. It was actually pretty good. The bitter/tartness wasn't as bad.

At my school in Florida they just spooned on salad dressing- the kind that comes in a jar that looks like a mayonnaise jar. They sell it next to the mayo in the grocery store. Unlike mayo it has a sweet taste. I hated the stuff and never touched a school salad, but there are people who like it. They had great homemade rolls at school though.

I would love to find a good tasting salad dressing too.

Hope you get some feedback.

one egg

one cup of oil

vinegar

seasonings

honey

blender

Put the egg in the blender and pulse for a few seconds. Take the plastic thingy off the blender top, while blender is running, stream in the oil slowly. It will emulsify and get a great thick creamy mayonnaise look. Run in some vinegar until the consistency is how you want it.

about 1/2 teaspoon of salt

The finished product is actually home-made mayonnaise! You can then whisk in your favorite seasonings (garlic and a touch of celery salt are tasty. Mix in the honey until you get it as sweet as you like. If you add ketchup and relish it will be "french" salad dressing. Just keep fooling around with seasonings until you get the taste that you want.

If you season a tablespoon at a time it will give you an opportunity to sample the seasonings until you find the taste that you like best before seasoning the rest of the batch.

I grew up in the 70's too, and I'm from Eastlake, OH! LOL I agree, school lunches were really good back then!

here are a few recipes to try:

(this is my favorite, my mom makes it-I know my best friend fell in love with salad dressing as a result of this!)

Mom's Dressing:

2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinager

¼ or more (to taste) sugar

1 cup mayonnaise or miricle whip (mom does miricle whip, I do mayo...)

milk to consistency

pepper to taste (this really adds something!)

Salad Dressing:

2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon of mustard

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 lemon

2 garlic cloves

Half a cup of olive oil

mix all ingredients except the oil. Thendrop the oil in, tablespoon at a time for an extra smooth consistency.

If you want, you can just mix all the ingredients in a container and shake.

Hope one of these hits the spot!

Thanks for the reminder. My mom made a similar dressing, and it was just vinegar, oil, sugar, and a few spices. I'd try 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, and start with 3 T sugar, you might add a little more. Add salt, pepper, and whatever else you like, dill, basil, etc. I'm going to do this soon.

My favorite dressing tastes like British Salad Cream, and is just 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar. Sometimes I use lemon juice instead of vinegar. I use the same for cole slaw, fruit/gelatin salad, or salad (by the way, I almost always put some fruit in my salad)

Take a coffee cup (we use Corelle) fill it half way with sugar. Add two tablespoons cider vinegar. Fill to top of cup with water, stir. No oil needed. Toss with lettuce. Surprisingly good.

Have you tried Good Season's Italian dressing mix? It is a dry mix in an envelope. You just add oil and vinegar and I add a teaspoon of splenda (or sugar). It is the only Italian style dressing I like and I use a little extra vinegar and water and less oil - that way it saves a few calories! Most stores carry their own brand of dressing mix and the ones I have tried are just as good as the name brands. Hope this helps

In a one cup measuring cup add one fourth cup water, one fourth cup vinegar, one fourth cup sugar and one forth cup oil.

Schools should still cook food like we had in the 60's & 70's. We had wonderful simple food. Have you eaten in a school cafeteria in the last few years, might as well go to McDonalds it is almost all fast food and the combinations they put together, makes you wonder where they get their ideas.

I have made this mayonaise for more than 50 years. You need to mix together 1 teasp. dry mustard, 1/2 teasp salt, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 tin condensed milk. I usually make a double amount in a large jar, it is yummy & I often eat it off a teaspoon.

But condensed milk is sweet!! Can you taste the sweetness even with the added ingredients? Thanks

A person making salad dressing at home.
Salad Dressing Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salad DressingAugust 29, 2009
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
🎉
🎄