Moving Buttons on Blouse to Alter Bust Size

Has anyone ever moved the buttons on their blouse closer to the edge to have more room in the bust of the blouse? I am a size D cup, and have a terrible time finding blouses that fit. They're either too tight in the bust, or too loose in the sleeves and baggy around my waist. So, my fiance suggested moving the buttons over a bit. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work?

By Tiffany S. from Pineville, LA

My guess is there would be too much gap between the buttons. More than likely you wouldn't have enough space to do much good. Sometimes the seams are made so that a person can let each one out about 1/8-1/4 inch, that combined with moving the buttons might work. All you can do is try it on one blouse and see what happens.

I do this all the time. If the button holes are vertical, you can move the buttons pretty close to the edge. If they are horizontal, make sure you don't move them so close as to leave a gap. Even a small move can make a huge difference.

You can also try a minimizer bra.

Yes you can do this, be sure to wear it around the house for a day or so to see how it does but over time it's highly likely to rip because the fabric is much less sturdy to have a button that close to the edge. It's just not strong enough in that area to do that & have any length of success with it. Check underneath the arms down the side seam or wherever there is a seam if there is enough seam allowance to let it out, i'm afraid, if you want the blouse to hold you in, it's the only way. Or maybe having a seamstress add some fabric in, if, that can be done. I've been watching Stacy London & Clinton omygosh I can't remember his name, oh lol Kelly of! What Not To Wear. Perhaps you're not fitting things to your largest part & tailoring the rest in to fit you. Also if you cannot find anything in the department sizes to fit you, might I suggest (@ Stacy & Clinton's direction) a plus size shop for your bust & go with what fits that and tailor in the rest to fit.

I am also a d/dd cup. I never wear button front clothes. I prefer T-shirts and muffin tops but if you are having problems with buttons gaping then go up a size or two in your blouses.

Crafts Clothing AlterationsMay 18, 2011
A sock puppet with a button for a nose.
Craft Ideas Using Buttons
A woman altering a blouse.
Making a Blouse Fit Better
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Resizing Baking Pans
Baking Pan Conversion
🎄