Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Forest Theme Party

My four year old son has requested a "forest" theme for his next birthday party! I have a few ideas, such as a forest theme cake, a plant as a party favor, etc. I figured we could also have knapsacks or tote bags filled with "hiking" type goodies as a party favor: trail mix, a toy compass, etc. Does anyone have any advice or ideas as far as what else I could put in the hiking bags or use for party decorations? I'm on somewhat of a tight budget, so I'm very willing to make some things myself if need be. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lisa from WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By yvonne [3]07/13/2008

What about a " Robin hood, Maid Marion " style dress up party?
My daughter some years ago wanted to have a princess themed party. I have always been on a tight budget, so instead of purchasing all the princess party decorations, we had a dress up party complete with " royalty " food, which was anything she wanted, with inventive new names attached, such as Rice krispie squares became Princess Bites popcorn balls, flattened between sheets of wax paper, became prince pies.
All the children came dressed up in second hand prom dresses or suits and we made the crowns with the children and my husband, the king, was to judge the best crown. Of course, he didn't choose just one, so all the children won a " purse " of gold which was left over material bags and draw-string cords. The gold was gold-foil covered chocolate candies.
Hope this helps.
Over the years, I have had to come up with many ideas for inventive parties, they were all great hits!!

By Kim Churchman [3]07/13/2008

I would use big cardboard sheets like from a refrigerator carton, and make big forest animals, like deer, elk, cougar, wolverine, eagle, and so on. And of course big Douglas Firs.

By Laurie Murphy07/09/2008

As an activity you could have the kids plant marigold seeds in egg shells or paper cups, that would be a party favor that they can watch grow over time! How about gummy bugs/worms as a sweet treat?
You could collect leaves and then tape them to string for a "streamer" for decorations and you could also collect (w/your 4 yr old, I might add - use it as a field trip), branches from shrubs and trees (ask your neighbors who might be doing some yard clean up for their extras!)

Then take those tree branches and tie them together to create your own "tree". If you plan on feeding the crew, BBQ'd hot dogs, hips, and apple slices are just right! Small party size magnifying glasses are great fun with little ones. Do you know anyone that has a tape of outdoor animals. Frogs, birds, owls, etc (check the library or your local conservation center. Have the kids identify the different animals! Have a great time.

By Leslie [11]07/09/2008

OrientalTrading.com usually has great goodie bag items. We did a smililar theme for my daughter, I bought small flashlights. You could hide small plastic bugs and snakes for a scavenger hunt. Tell the kids to dress in camo. Then paint their faces with camo grease paint that hunters use. Good luck and have fun.