PlumbingHome Improvement

Improving Water Pressure

I have really bad water pressure. We flush the toilet and the kitchen faucet has very little water come out. Or if I have the outside water on, I have "no" water at the kitchen faucet. What can I do to have more pressure?

By crazyhorse1959 from IA

If you are on municipal water, you need to check with your authority and see how big the feed line is into your house.

If you are on a well, check the pressure on the tank to see if the pressure regulator needs to be adjusted, or if the air in the bladder of the tank needs to be recharged.

Just to add to Dibbs post. Our water dept will come out for free and test the pressure in the line at your connection. My children went on a field trip and this how I learned this. They said some people have problems with pressure and sometimes it is because of a small line or that they could increase water pressure going to the house, or that their lines need blown out that they could have air in them.

Does your water pump continuously kick on when your water is running? If so your pressure tank need recharged. Quite simple to do if your have a air compressor and tire pressure gauge.

If your pipes are old they may be filled with gunk too. My house was an old fixer-upper and when we replaced the plumbing what a difference! Don't forget to check the aerators in the faucets. They could be clogged.