Getting Rid of Wasps

Wasps are making hives on everything in my yard. How can I get rid of them? They're really a nuisance!

By Sheri from Provo, UT

Locate their hives, and then wait till after dark when the wasps are all inside the hives, and then spray each hive thoroughly with a good wasp and hornet spray. If you use a good wasp and hornet spray, they will all start to die immediately and you don't have to worry about them flying out of the hives and attacking you. You might want to buy more than one can of spray, depending on how many hives you have.

Caution:

For daytime and individual hornets, I learned that when you squish wasps/hornets, they release a pheromone (scent) that calls for others to come to their defense. Yikes. Put out a deep jar with honey in the bottom. The leftover wasps/hornets will catch in the bottom.

Spraying insecticide at night in their nests is a good idea.

I just "terminated" a 6 inch diameter nest under construction beneath my eave. I waited till midnight then using my expanding hose with a spray bottle nozzle device connected to it, filled it with clorox and hit the nest with a heavy jet of water & bleach! In a few minutes the paper ball was blown away but the comb core took a bit more effort to break it's "anchor" off the ceiling before it fell to my deluge. No counter attackers, no noticeable debris, the whole thing was over in about 15 minutes! Back to bed I went (but not them!)

August 7, 2010 Flag

I can't even go onto my back porch without killing at least 5-10 wasps in a half hour period. I see a lot of them are going up into the porch roof though any means they can. I'm sure there are several nests in there. Any ideas what I can do to get them out of there and keep them away? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Shila from PA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Wasps

Buy the wasp and hornet spray that kills on contact from 12 feet away. Then watch the hornets to see where the opening is in your porch roof that they are going into. Be sure to check to see if there is more than one opening. Wait until after dark when all of the hornets are in their nest, and then spray the wasp and hornet spray into the opening, making sure to saturate the area. Wait a couple of days to make sure the hornets are all dead, and then caulk the opening so that no more hornets nests can be built there. (04/07/2010)

By Patty Lynn

Getting Rid of Wasps

This works real well; try mixing up a strong solution of Dawn dish washing liquid and water. About 1 small bottle of Dawn to 2 gallons of water in a sprayer and spray away. They can't fly then, and when they fall to the ground remember to kill them. (04/07/2010)

By laura343

April 6, 2010 Flag

I need a good old home remedy for wasps. (The removing of them.)

Kathy from Omaha, NE

Answers:

Getting Rid of Wasps

I have information that if you hang a slice of watermelon over a bucket of water they will gorge themselves and drown. I haven't tried it yet, but I will if I have the problem again. (07/09/2008)

By Me

Getting Rid of Wasps

Put Sevin dust in cans and place around area, like a deck. They are attracted to it and then go back to nests and are killed. You may see a few now and then, but it works and is non toxic to anything else. (07/13/2008)

By bob

Wasp on Vespiary
Getting Rid of Wasps
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsAugust 7, 2010
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Repelling Hornets, Bumble Bees, and Wasps
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home
🎉
🎄