Inexpensive Feltable Wool

I need wool for a felting project. Apparently sheep aren't too common in my local area. Does anyone know of a no-cost or low-cost source for wool that will felt?

I can pay to have the wool shipped, of course and can pay a reasonable fee for the wool. Please share any information or suggestions you may have. Thanks!

By hellopf from McMinnville, TN

Ooh, sorry. You paid TOP dollar. As someone who's been into textiles for 40 years, I must say the wool market is in a bubble just like housing, etc. BUT there are ways to find good sources.

Suggestions: go to >groups> write in raw fiber or wool or both. Join a couple of fiber groups. Find someone who wants to get rid of last years wool but describes it as soft/fine, for about $3.50. That's the low end of the prices but I just got beatiful, fine wool for that price from D Webb in Michigan, so you might look for her under the raw fiber I think it was and search for $3.50 and she should pop up, or someone else.

Read on the web how to wash raw, dirty wool, have fun acid dying with vinegar and food dye from Walmart for about a $1 or 2 (the little box of 4 colors), let the wool dry, and felt away. There is more work involved but believe there's more wool for your money too. I bought

4+ pounds at above price plus shipping for total of

$26 and have more fine wool than I will use in a long time.

Using craigslist to place an ad under wanted might work. EG: Wanted: raw wool fleece to experiment with. Free or nearly so greatly appreciated.

Need it to be couple of inches long. You can never tell.

But actually, I just noticed you are in TN; you probably can have great luck locally. Just google sheep farm, TN and start writing. You probably can find someone within driving distance.I know there are sheep for spinners farmers in TN, bound to be some almost free wool, especially if you tell them you are just starting to work with wool. Watch out, it's addicting.

Could you purchase wool sweaters at the thrift store and ravel them?

Yeah, I'm with Jilson...thrift shop! You can get wool sweaters for $2.00 or less, or check garage sales!

If you can get old, small, torn (whatever) sweaters from thriftshops, etc. all you have to do is wash in hot water and dry them in the dryer and you have a good felting wool.

Crafts AdviceMay 9, 2009
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Decorating with Area Rugs, Cleaning a Wool Area Rug, Wool area rug on a living room floor.
Cleaning a Wool Area Rug
Knitted Sweaters
Stretching Shrunken Wool Garments
Close up of Steel Wool
Saving Money On Steel Wool