Jam & JellyCondiments

Freezer Jam

Mix well and let stand 4 hours or overnight:

• 2-3 cups mashed strawberries (or other soft fruit), depending on desired thickness
  • 3 cups sugar

Bring to a hard boil in a large stock pot. (It boils up) Reduce heat to medium, skim off 'foam' for immediate taste treat! Boil 10 minutes.

Add:

• 1 3-oz. package flavored gelatin, your choice of flavors

Mix until well dissolved and bring to a boiling point again. Remove from heat and let set a few minutes. Stir again. Put in sterilized jars or freezer containers and keep in refrigerator or freezer.

The fun of this recipe is the options you can use! I've mixed strawberries with raspberries, made peach jam, sweet cherry jam, and changed it up with the flavors of gelatin. Used this recipe for 10 years, haven't made a batch that my large family hasn't loved. The cookbook says to try it with grapes, or rhubarb also, but haven't tried that yet.

Can be enlarged easily.

Source: More With Less Cookbook, a wonderful down-home cookbook from the Mennonites.

By Kim from Crawford, CO

do you store it in Freezer or Frig once its done

and how long can you store it?

I would like to try this it sounds good!

You can use freezer containers and freeze, or it will keep a pretty long time in the frig. I'm not really sure cuz my family uses it up pretty fast.

I just made Peach Jam with this recipe, and used sterilized jars, hot jam and lids that were softened in boiling water, and they all sealed! Just turn the jars over after you seal them tight to help them seal.

This not the 'orthodox way' to put up jam, but it will work!

This sounds so easy. These days thats what I'm all about. But I am diabetic. Can splenda be used to replace the sugar?

Can this be put in freezer bags? I don't have a lot of containers for freezer, or freezer space. Thanks in advance!

You might be better off to make a single batch and store it your fridge, or do the 'canning' with hot sterilized jars and lids, etc. See the earlier post. KLJohn