Bib Style Button Necklace Pattern

I am looking for a pattern for a "bib necklace" made from buttons. There are several patterns for "button necklaces", but I am looking for the bigger, bib-type necklace. Thanks.

By Geri from Orlando, FL

Answers

Button Bib Necklace

First up: a key accessory in fashion this autumn, the statement bib (or collar) necklace. I am becoming increasingly obsessed with these - they seem like such a bold fun way to jazz up the most simple outfit. A plain dress (or jeans & a tshirt) plus a bib necklace equals POW!To make your own necklace you will need:

A paper template (see the bottom of this post), or you could draw your own shape

Thick felt (because of the weight of the buttons). Quality wool felt, or that thick (and wonderfully cheap!) synthetic stuff you get in sheets in stores like Hobbycraft. I used black to make the other colours really pop.

Matching thread, sewing needle, scissors, and pins.

Matching wide ribbon to make the ties

Buttons - I used a mix of bright colours for mine, but you could use any colour palette you fancy, perhaps an assortment of shapes in one colour? All black buttons on a grey background would look particularly chic. For some extra bling, you could add sequins, beads, and any other shiny doodads you can lay your hands on.

1. Pin the paper template to your felt, and cut around it. Do this twice, so you have a pair of matching felt shapes. One of these will be the decorated front of your necklace and the other the back.

2. Lay out your buttons on one of the felt pieces and play around with them until you get an arrangement you're happy with. This piece will become the back of your necklace.

3. With the back piece (covered in buttons) on the table in front of you serving as a guide to where to place them, gradually sew the buttons one by one onto the other (front) piece of felt. Make sure you stitch the buttons on securely, using a double thickness of thread and several stitches per button.4. Cut two lengths of ribbon, long enough so you can easily tie a bow to fasten your necklace (I cut mine to each be 14 inches long so I can wear the necklace low or high). Cut the ends at an angle to help prevent fraying.

5. Place one piece of ribbon at the top left of the back felt piece, so half an inch or an inch of the ribbon overlaps the felt. If your ribbon has a "right" and a "wrong" side, make sure that the "right" side is face up on the felt so it will be visible when you wear the necklace. Sew the ribbon in place securely. Repeat this for the other piece of ribbon on the other side of the necklace.

6. Now place the front and back pieces of your necklace together, so that the buttons are facing outwards and the stitched ends of your ribbon are sandwiched between the felt pieces. Pin the felt pieces together carefully. Finally, use a whip stitch to sew all around the edges and finish your stitches at the back of the necklace where they won't be visible.

7. Wear your necklace immediately and feel fabulous!Double click the template below to to view it full size and print out.

If you print at 100% your necklace will be the same as mine, just change the % to make it smaller or larger. Please be nice and only use this template for non-commercial use: you can use it for as many necklaces as you like and to make gifts for friends. Good luck.

June 9, 2012 Flag

I can't find the pattern for the bib style button necklace. Where can I find one? Thanks.

By Carolyne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know this post is an old one but you can find these on pinterest.com. Hope this helps.

Making Button Necklaces
Making Button Necklaces
Crafts JewelryMarch 12, 2010
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
stack of yo yo paper weights
Making Yo Yo Pattern Weights
plate of cherry topped cookies
Bachelor Button Cookie Recipes
Making Button Jewelry
Making Button Jewelry
🎄
🍂