Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Paint Suggestions for Tan, White and Gray Kitchen

I just got new solid surface counters in my kitchen. They are called travertine, lots of light tans and a little white and a little gray as well. My cabinets are white and my floor is a light gray tone. I am tired of trying to find a paint color that will match my counters. This being my first real home I need it to look really good. The counters are really pretty. A lot of you have already helped me with other things. Thanks a lot.

Connie from Colt, AR

I think something in the coral range would match the tans and gray and would be warm and colorful.

Personally, I like red with those colors. Or spice it up maybe terra cotta or chili pepper(red on the orange sides).

Ohh such fun and the possibilities are endless!

If you are not afraid of color, I would go with a deep rich red, with a white trim and maybe a white or color-combo throw rug for under table or by sink.

If you are color shy, then a light tan with white trim would go nicely leaving you to accent with your dishes, placemats, etc.

If you have a small piece of countertop, you can take that to the paint counter at Lowes or Home Depot and they can match it for you. (I did that and it worked perfectly! People comment on it! My counter has several shades in it as well, I just picked one.)

Also you can get a sample or small container of each color cheaply, paint a spare piece of wood or tape a store sample on your wall, live with it for a few days before you commit to a particular color.

Good Luck!

Thank you all so much for all the feedback i am kind of a one of those ladys that need a handbook called paint colors for the color blind. But these are great i like the range of tones that all of you suggested and just in time we are going to lowes this weekend. Thanks so much, Connie

My first thought was apple green which has a little yellow in it. But I think it depends on the amount of sunlight you receive in your kitchen. The apple green will be good for medium to low light, but if your kitchen is drenched with sunlight, I think I'd lean toward a cooler blue.

Try to keep your kitchen a happy color and a happy place. What color makes YOU happy? (smile)

WOW - sounds like this Kitchen will take just about any color! Good for you! Here's a thought, choose a theam and not a color. A few years back I changed my Kitchen from "Blues" to "Fruit", Fruit on the Dishes and some of the cook-ware. Fruit on the throw rugs and items that sit on the counters - have even thrown a few vegtables (I have a "carrot" potato peeler). I have a friend, who after seeing what I was doing, went with chicken and roosters! My Daughter-in-law has gone with apples!

What ever you decide - just have fun with it!!

I think a taupe would look nice. Taupe is a pretty vague color but if you can get your hands on a Sherwin Williams paint swatch, look at color Netsuke SW6134. You can see the color and then match it to a cheaper paint like Behr...It's a great neutral color. A great color that won't compete or dominate other colors. This way you can punch up color with other accessories.

If you are intending to stay in your home for some time, pick your favorite color and go big! If you think you will be moving before long, pick a rich tone to match the colors in the countertop--dark gray or taupe. My kitchen has black floors, black mixed countertop, taupe walls (mocha) and black lower/ cream upper cabinets. With some of those cool "chef" pictures, it turned out cool.

Hi Carol from PA Thank you for your feedback. Have a great week. Thanks again, Connie (buckdoe)

For your walls pick a bold blue with white on all of your trim.