Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

I have a 9 year old Whirlpool dishwasher that is not opening up the dispenser to release the liquid detergent to wash the dishes. I have tried using alcohol to clean the springs, because I thought it might be just build up on the little door. The door opens and closes when we pop it ourselves, but just doesn't open automatically when it is supposed to in order to dispense to wash our dishes. It's frustrating. Help.

By ScrpBkBon from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

Fill your soap dispenser with either powdered Tang or powdered lemonade and run empty of dishes.

I did this twice and it cleared up the problem. The ascorbic acid cleaned up the problem.

Best Answer

We had the same problem with our 2 year old dishwasher. Too new to replace and not worth a repair bill. Now we just fill the cup as usual, but we don't close the door to the cup. We just wait to fill it until we are ready to run the dishwasher and then close the dishwasher door and start it. It has worked great so far...nice clean dishes every time.

It sounds as if the mechanism on the detergent cup is worn out. You should consider buying yourself a new dishwasher. The 10 to 11 year old dishwasher in our apartment unit was replaced with a new one. It always stopped working on weekends whenever management and the maintenance staff were off. It always broke down when it was loaded with dishes.

Could also brush area around little door pivot area with old toothbrush and warm water. Maybe it's just caked.

February 18, 2010 Flag

I have a VERY old dishwasher and apparently the cup isn't automatically springing out to release the dish washing liquid anymore. Is there a product out there I can use instead of using the released cup of detergent built-in? Are those the Electrosol tabs I see in the store?

Many Thanks!
Katie from Chicago

Answers:

Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

Yep, the Electrosol tabs work, but you still have to stuff them into the door and shut it (don't use the Cascade ones, your dishwasher is already old and the plasticy things don't dissolve well). Best thing to do is replace the dishwasher. Ultimately your old dishwasher is probably costing a lot of money to run, they aren't water or energy efficient at all! But if you can't do that, you might want to do a load with vinegar (cup at the bottom in a bowl) to dislodge some buildup. (02/18/2007)

By michawnpita

Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

I use the tabs and just put them in the dishwasher. It is all clean so it's ok. (02/19/2007)

By sandy63

Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

I never put the electrosol tabs in the dispenser. I just throw them in the bottom of my dishwasher and the dishes always come out clean. (02/21/2007)

By GK,Winnipeg, Canada

Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

I've had problems with those doors before, so I now just pour the detergent in the cup and then let it fall to the floor of the dishwasher as I close it. I've never had a problem with unwashed dishes or my dishwasher. But that's just me. I would have suggested those detergent bullets, too. (07/02/2007)

Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

Fill your soap dispenser with either powdered Tang or powdered lemonade and run empty of dishes. I did this twice and it cleared up the problem. The ascorbic acid cleaned it up. (12/30/2008)

By Krista

Dishwasher with an open door.
Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap
Home and Garden Repair Appliances DishwasherFebruary 18, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
🎉
🎄