Escalloped Cabbage

I love cabbage. I know lots of people don't, but I really do because it's very versatile. You can use it in so many ways. I think this recipe is one of the best ways.

• 1 medium head cabbage
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • buttered cracker crumbs or croutons

Cut cabbage in small wedges. Cook in salted water until tender. Do not overcook; drain well. Make a white sauce by melting butter, stirring in the flour, salt and milk. Cook until boiling. Place cabbage in a greased casserole, cover with white sauce. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 325 degrees F about 25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This sounds good but I need a little more detail. How long do you boil when you parboil? And is white sauce like the alfredo sauce you can get in the Ragu brand? Thanks.

Sounds yummy! In our house we like to use dill seeds with cabbage. It's a good digestive

Thank you so much for this recipe! I used to make this several years ago, and lost it. Haven't been able to find this exact recipe until now. I also used to add small chunks of left over ham to this recipe. And it was so good that way, too. We liked it with buttered croutons or bread crumbs on top. Thanks again!

Slicing Cabbage
Scalloped Cabbage Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CasserolesJune 24, 2009
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage