This easy-to-create snowman will add a whimsical touch to your holiday decor. In fact, you can leave him out all winter long.
Approximate Time: About 1 hour
- Styrofoam balls (3-inch, 4-inch and 4.5-inch)
- white craft glue
- 7 black seed beads
- 3 small black beads
- 1 brown chenille stem
- black craft foam
- wooden skewer
- orange acrylic paint
- fabric scrap
- small paint brush
- ink pen or pencil
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- wire cutters
- serrated knife
- wax paper
- To create the base, mix enough cornstarch and white glue until it is the consistency of modeling clay.
- Form it into a 5 1/2 inch circle. It doesn't have to be perfectly round. Place on a piece of wax paper and allow to dry until hardened. (I let mine dry overnight.)
- In the meantime, you can begin building your snowman. Using a serrated knife, slice a small portion off of the 4 1/5 inch ball so that it will lay flat on the base once the base is dry.
- Slice a small portion off of the opposite side so that the 4 inch ball will lay flat on the 4 1/2 inch ball.
- Now, slice a small portion off of two sides of the 4 inch ball in the same manner.
- Next, only slice off one side of the smallest ball (the head) so that it lays flat on the middle portion.
- Glue the three Styrofoam balls together with the largest on the bottom and smallest on the top.
- From the pointed end of the skewer, paint about one inch of the wooden skewer orange. This will be his nose. Put aside to dry.
- While the skewer is drying, cut the chenille stem in half, and then cut two small pieces off of each one to form his "fingers." Wrap the ends of the 2 small pieces to each large piece to create his arms.
- To create the hat, cut a strip from the craft foam that measures 12 inches x 1 inch. Also, cut 2 circles from the craft foam, one that is 2 inches and one that is 1 1/4 inches. Roll up the strip of craft foam and glue the end down. Next, glue the roll to the center of the 2 inch circle, and glue the smaller circle on top. This will be the hat.
- For the scarf, cut a strip of fabric that is 12 inches x 1/2 inch.
- For the eyes and mouth, press seed beads into the foam. Secure with glue, if necessary.
- Press the small black beads down the middle Styrofoam ball for buttons.
- Using wire cutters, cut the end off of the skewer and press into the head to create his nose.
- Insert the arms into each side of the middle of his body. (You may need to insert the skewer into the foam to create a hole for inserting each arm.)
- Tie scarf around his neck and glue hat on his head.
- When the base is dry, apply Snow-Tex, if desired to resemble snow.
- Glue snowman to base.
- If you wish, you can create your own broom using part of a wooden skewer, some raffia, and a chenille stem. Glue it to his hand and to the base.
Related Content(article continues below)
By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 23, 2017 at 5:24:26 AM on 10.0.2.92 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us