This topiary makes a nice wedding or housewarming gift without spending a fortune. It's a great way to use those decorative containers that are taking up cabinet space too. I used a sugar bowl that was missing it's lid. While you are at it, make two and keep one for yourself!
Approximate Time: Approx. 1 hour
- container of your choice
- small block of Styrofoam to fit container
- stick or scrap piece of 3/8" dowel rod
- Styrofoam ball
- ribbon rose buds
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- small piece of ivy
- Spanish moss
The size of your styrofoam ball and stick or dowel rod will depend upon the size of your container. You don't want your topiary to look too top heavy. I used a 4 inch ball and 7 inch stick in the one pictured.
- Place a piece of styrofoam in the container.
- Push the stick or dowel rod into the center of the Styrofoam and glue some Spanish moss around the base of the stick or dowel rod so you cannot see the Styrofoam.
- Set the container aside.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the ribbon rose buds all around the Styrofoam ball until it is completely covered.
- Push the Styrofoam ball onto the stick or dowel rod until it is inserted about 1 inch so that it is secure.
- Wrap a piece of ivy around the stick or dowel rod, gluing it in place if necessary.
- Glue two or three additional rose buds or flowers around base, if desired.
By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC
December 8, 20070 found this helpful
Oh, that is so charming. I'm not big on too many crafts. I used to make Christmas ornaments years ago but got burned out. This looks like so much fun and easy though that I'm going to make a few, assembly line style, and give them for Christmas gifts...one for me too. Thanks for sharing.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 20, 2016 at 11:33:10 AM on 10.0.1.56 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us