Browsing: Repairing a Crack in a Plastic Tub or Shower

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

I need to know how and what type of material/compound, etc. to use when repairing a plastic material type shower. The bottom needs repair and I don't know what material or compound to use.

I don't want to discard the whole shower just because the bottom needs to be fixed. It's not fiberglass, but plastic, so I was told. Just by looking I can't tell. I do want to fix it so it will appear nice and clean and neat. The rest of the shower looks like brand new. This is in a double wide home.

Thanks for your help.

By Davy from Newport NC

Answers

November 4, 2010 Flag

How do you repair a cracked shower stall floor?

Sharon from Coeur d'Alene, ID

Answers:

Rquest: Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

I have a crack on the floor of an inexpensive plastic shower stall in my basement. The crack is round in shape and about an inch in diameter, and I think it resulted from a heavy shampoo bottle that fell and hit the floor just hard enough to make a crack. I have tried to repair this with Goop glue, which lasted for a while, but as soon as I cleaned the floor with a harsh cleaner, the Goop pulled away from the plastic. I have been tempted to try Marine Goop, which I heard is a different formula from regular household Goop, but I don't know if this is true. Or, should I use epoxy?

I am open to any advice and suggestions, but whatever I use needs to withstand exposure to water from the shower head. Also, I don't care so much about how the repair looks, but I'd like it to be a permanent fix. Please help! Thank you!

Tori from Pittsburgh PA

Answers:

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

I had a bath tub crack on me when I was renting a mobile home. Landlord was out of town, I had 4 kids that needed bathing, so I patched it with Bondo. I think that's how it's spelled (it's been a long time ago). Anyway, it's the same thing they use to patch fiber glass car bodies. It took the landlord over a month to find another tub to replace mine. We would have been one smelly crew. (06/15/2007)

By duckie43

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions, but unfortunately, my shower stall is definitely plastic and not fiberglass. So, if anybody has a suggestion for plastic, please post it for me. Also, this is not the main bathroom in the house, so I can avoid using this shower for as long as it would take for an adhesive or glue, etc. to cure. Thanks again!
(06/16/2007)

By Tori in Pittsburgh, PA

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Try Vulcum. I use this to repair leaky roofs. I think 'vulcum' might be a name brand, but go to Lowe's or Home Depot and ask somebody there. It stays flexible when it dries, and it's paintable after a few days. It comes in a tube that needs to be applied with a caulk gun. (06/23/2007)

By Lisa

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Look on your RV websites, they have repair kits for plastic showers (one is by SYON), there's one for fiberglass as well. Good Luck. (03/28/2008)

By Lisha

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Home Depot and Lowe's sell an epoxy plastic patch and a special tape just for cracks in plastic tub floors. Yes! There is someone out there who gets that it's plastic. (04/25/2008)

By Wendall

(12/11/2008)

By Kezia_admin

Close up image of a plastic shower base with a crack in it
Repairing a Crack in a Plastic Tub or Shower
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomNovember 4, 2010
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 12:22:06 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.