Should I Ship My Car When I Move?

I am moving from Jersey To Arizona around September and I was wondering if I should just pack my car and drive out there or should I pay almost $900 to have my car shipped? I was planning on having my car serviced before I leave and I trust my car to make the 2200 mile trip. I was planning on selling my things that I don't need at my next yard sale and I am donating what doesn't sell.

By azchik from Piscataway, NJ

If your car is in good shape & not too old to make the trip I suggest to drive it there. You can see part of the country if you have not already,stop every night before sun down to be able to get a nice room to sleep in, if you don't you have to take what rooms you may find or keep driving almost all night without sleep. We had that bad luck on our way to CA a few years ago, good luck.

I agree with kffrmw88. I'd pack up and drive and stop along the way. You could do a map quest and get a good and fast route or look at maps and try to plan your trip around points of interest.

I would suggest you get a rough estimate on how much you would spend on Gas/snacks/hotel accomodations. If its way over the amount for shipping and a transportation for you to reach destination, then drive. Just keep in mind to prepare for the worst case scenerios ( keep extra money on hand for small repairs like flat tires or towing fees ) if you decide to drive. If you dont mind sleeping in the car, there are "safe rest areas" all around. They have tons of lighting and indoor bathroom facilities as well as security and playgrounds if you have kids. If you weigh the costs and decide to road trip the move, take lots of pics and have fun. If you are going alone, I would suggest finding a friend to tag along for the ride. You can share driving time, have more fun and a bit more security :).

Hmmm. I'd feel better if you had a friend to go with you. That's a very long trip and if anything went wrong, you'd be alone. The friend could fly back cheaply after staying to visit a while, right? You have to eat anyway, so that shouldn't figure into your expenses, but extra gas, wear and tear, and

stress on you and the car need serious consideration. Get it serviced first, then go but make certain you have contacts, cell phone, extra american express travelers checks to use instead of cash, and don't overdo your credit card(s). Take full advantage of the speical rates on weekends at the better motels, book in advance and

if you have aaa auto club, get a "trip tick" planned two months in advance for free from them. If you do not have towing/lock out insurance with your auto insurance you can more than likely add it for cheap.

Aaa offers minor auto repairs while traveling, so that might be worth joining

for the month of your trip only.

I'd stick to the dollar menus at fast foods and take a dozen boiled eggs, box of cereal

and buy milk or whatever you like for breakfast but not try to eat in the car or carry lots of foods. That can get both messy, and frustrating, not saving a single person too much overall.

Keep your maps or gps really handy and when you stop don't ask anyone but a police officer or a store clerk (in private) questions as you travel, because there are preditors who wait and watch for the opportunity to harm lone travelers. Don't flash your money and keep only one travelers'check out at a time, not flashing the rest or the book of them to anyone.

Drink lots of water, eat lightly, keep your pillow and a sm. Bag of clean clothes out for the next day so you are not exposing your car contents each time to the public.

Also, don't ask around where the best place to eat is, just watch for the crowd and stop where you are familiar, not trying "new things" while on the road. This may the time to see the countryside, but not alone nor in remote sites. These are dangerous times and we should use wisdom at all times. God bless and watch over you. : )

If it was me, I'd definitely drive! But I'd save about 2 weeks to do it. That way you could take your time and see/visit sights along the way.

As for being a long drive? I a woman and have driven back and forth across country from CA to the east coast many times by myself. Going from NJ to AZ would be a breeze! I wish I could go along with you! I miss being able to hit the road!

If you decide to drive and you can't afford a motel, pull in to a public rest stop but go to the semi-truck parking area or go to a regular truck stop (where they have a cafe, mini-market, showers, etc). Ask a couple of those drivers if they will keep an eye out for you for the night and just sleep in the front seat where you can easily blow the car horn. Of, course, lock the doors but you can roll the front windows down slightly for fresh air.

My dad was a long distance driver for a couple of years of his life and he told me that trick along with many others :-) I've driven long distances alone dozens of times and those drivers are the very best at watching out for people and especially people traveling alone!

Oh, and be a safe, smart and courteous driver by taking four days to drive that distance! That's only three nights sleep on the road ;-)

Organizing MovingJuly 17, 2009
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
completed egg carton ship
Making an Egg Carton Ship
🎉
🎄