Cleaning Popcorn Ceilings

How do you clean popcorn ceilings? Mine have black, sooty stains right near the heat registers. Thanks.

By Dodie from Winston Salem, NC

Best Answer

If you have a canister style vacuum cleaner, use the long hose attachment with the brush on the end of it. Brush over the ceiling very lightly with the brush and vacuum it. You may need a step ladder too.

just tried this... it worked!

Best Answer

I have used a couple of things: a long handled "fluffy" duster and a broom to which I have attached a damp cloth. I brush over the ceiling gently, some of the little white bumps come off, but it's easier for me than using a vacuum.

Best Answer

To get rid of a stain on a popcorn ceiling I was once advised to put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the stain. I let it dry and then tried it again. It did take the two applications, but it worked for me. I don't know about soot, though. It's worth a try!

I just did this to a couple water stains on my popcorn ceilings

when my roof in my apt leaked.. OH MY GOD... They Disappeared !!!! WOW

Best Answer

Unless you know that your popcorn ceiling is asbestos free, you should not disturb it. Asbestos can cause serious health damage, cancer and possibly death. Many popcorn ceilings contain asbestos.

One of the paint companies makes a spray paint product called Kilz Old White, which matches an old popcorn ceiling very well. The spray can is made so that it will spray straight upward. We had some water come through the ceiling fan vent during a thunderstorm with really high winds. The water left an ugly brown stain. We took the fan cover off, vacuumed the area around the stain, and then spray painted it. It's pretty close to a perfect match to the rest of the ceiling. The stuff wasn't cheap, but the convenience was well worth it.

A textured popcorn ceiling
Cleaning a Textured (Popcorn) Ceiling
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMay 19, 2010
Popcorn Ceiling
Repairing a Hole in a Popcorn Ceiling
Bowl of Popcorn
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
Washing Walls and Ceilings
Washing Walls and Ceilings
Popcorn Ceiling
Determining If a Popcorn Ceiling Has Asbestos
🎉
🎄