Shipping Breakables

I am sending my sister our late mother's good 8-place setting silverware and silverware chest cross country. Does anyone have any tips for making this process safe for the contents and as inexpensive as possible? I am thinking of separating the silverware from the chest and shipping them separately. Can you safely stack like items (such as spoons), then bundle with bubble wrap, and then nestle each bundle in packing peanuts in a heavy shipping crate or box? The chest I think I can handle, but the how-tos on the silverware have me a bit perplexed so I need some knowledgeable advice here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

You can separate the silver but wrap in tissue or packing paper vey well as plastic is deadly to silver. After you have wrapped them well andd taped them, wrap in bubble wrap or pack in popcorn.

Yes...ship the chest seperate for the silverware. The chest is what you have to worry about, not the silverware. Silverware is not going to break.

the post office now has one rate boxes available. I would package the silverware in tissue paper then bubble wrap and pack in the one rate box. It costs $8.40 for the entire box now matter how much it weighs as long as it doesn't bulge out.

I live in Hawaii and am very aware of hight postal rates and mailing.

Fragile Label on Cardboard Shipping Box
Shipping Breakables
Organizing AdviceFebruary 3, 2006
Man Delivering a Fragile Package
Tips for Shipping Packages
Hand Cart With Box That Reads Free Shipping
Saving Money on Shipping Charges
Dishes Being Packed into Box
Storing Breakables
Shipping Fruit
Shipping Fruit
🎉
🎄