My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Ways

contest winner icon

I am a single mom of two awesome boys. I am always looking for ways to be frugal. I hang clothes to dry, make food from scratch, and I never turn down clothes, etc. for my boys and me when someone has them to share.

I am always looking for other ideas to be frugal. I check out ThriftyFun, as well as other sites from Yahoo. I save coupons and am learning how to really get more bang for my buck with them.

I save ziploc bags; I wash them and reuse them. I make my own cleaning products. I frequent the library for its wealth of knowledge. I take my kids to free (or really cheap) events. I am learning how to be creative with my leftovers. I go for walks for exercise, and while I am out, I pick up any aluminum cans I find and recycle them for cash.

I sew holes in my socks to make them last longer. I replace zippers as needed. We turn out lights when we no longer need them on. I let daylight shine through my windows when its daytime instead of turning lights on at all. I take my youngest to Lowes and Home Depot for their free workshops. He LOVES it!

By Donna from Augusta, GA

Check out www.freestufftimes.com at the end of the week for a hole list of free activities for the kids over the weekend (including free museum tix recently). I really recommend the site.

Check out www.freestufftimes.com at the end of the week for a hole list of free activities for the kids over the weekend (including free museum tix recently), I really recommend the site.

Single moms of sons are really smart for taking advantage of those free classes in home maintenance that home-building stores offer. It gives the young boys and men what they're missing in the absence of Shop training in our schools now. Same with the cooking demonstrations offered at department stores for our daughters. We have to help our young people find other sources of education besides the schools today. It's really too bad that our educational system has become so lax, but they are.

Good for you. I wish you well Donna.

Your ideas are all winners.

Lee

Libraries often have free activities for kids depending on their age like storytime, arts & crafts or movies.

I completely agree with Shadow0336 but also believe the girls should go to Home Depot, etc. for classes and the boys should attend the cooking classes as well! I have both a girl and boy and really want them to grow up into fine spouses and be fully prepared and knowledgeable in all areas of adult life.

You seem like an awesome mom. I hope you win. Keep up the good work, those boys are going to make fine husbands one of these days. I wish more moms raised their kids like you do.

Really good commonsense advice we all could live by without making any drastic changes to our lifestyle. Just what our country's economy needs right now, common sense.