Silk Smell on Silk Blend Sweaters

I have a lot of silk blend sweaters and my body heat makes them smell, well like silk. Any suggestions to remove the silk smell from silk?

April from La Crosse, WI

Best Answer

I love the feel of silk blend, but they ALL smell like cod liver oil! I always know when someone is wearing silk because I can smell it. Silk is a wonderful fabric, but when it heats up to body temperature it releases the cod liver smell which is horrid. I find that I have to wash the silk blend clothing in hot water several times and even spray with Febreze. I have not found anything that will completely get rid of the odor, I've only been able to lessen it. It's such a shame. I try not to buy silk whenever possible because of it. The odd thing is that the smell only applies to silk blend. I have wonderful 100% silk sheets that have never had that odor.

I don't really understand. but if you have body odor, your clothing can hold that. Try wiping vinegar where you have the most odor on your body then shower as usual. The silk, i guess, would smell like silk because it is silk.

I know what you mean. I have a silk blend sweater set soaking in the sink right now. My first attempt is with dishwashing liquid and cold water.

Immediately after I bought the set, before I wore it, I noticed a smell in the closet. Then I wore the set to work. Big mistake! The smell is from the silk blend! I ended up going shopping at lunchtime & buying something to change into.

I'm trying to rinse the smell out, but it may be permanent! I hope not. It's a rather expensive set.

BO has nothing to do with this. It's the silk blend. HELP!

I always 'smell' when someone is wearing silk--even when i walk by a silk shirt in a store. To me it smells a little like eel (if you ever eat sushi, you know what I mean). But I find it very rare that someone else smells it--I have never met someone else who did! I don't find it offensive and I believe most other people will not be aware of it.

I bought a silk blend sweater set that has such a strong odor I have not been able to wear it longer than an hour. There must be something that can be done to correct this.

I have other silk blouses and jackets that do not have this odor.

I have the same issue - any clothing that I have that contains silk - has this smell. SO HOW DO I GET RID OF IT???

same here, I wash them with olive soap, non alkaline, and put 1 month on a plastic bag next to soaps, and other scent to make it smell better 98% better but still i wear perfume when i do wear all silk.

i never sweat on my silk dresses . always a granny underwear garment may help. (its call fondo or peticoat)

good luck,

I have the same problem Eve. I bought a beautiful silk blend cardigan. Noticed a slight smell when I took it out of the bag... thought nothing of it. Tried it on a few days later (with the skirt I was trying to match) and it reeked of fish! I washed it 3 times, sprayed it with perfume, body spray, febreeze, NOTHING could get rid of the smell. I even tried vinegar and baking soda.

The moral of this is STAY AWAY FROM SILK BLENDS!

Some people can just smell silk, others can't.

Two things: apparently a lot of folks think silk smells of fish or the sea or some such, but in fact a lot of less expensive silk is processed or harvested in seaside locales that also process fish products. Perhaps this is the "fishy" odor many people notice?

The odor I detect on silk is only on some, less processed silk, and it is an organic earthy aroma that is more like a yeast or bread smell, not unpleasant. In fact, I seek it out and am disappointed when it eventually fades.

I am very sensitive to smells and am always aware of fishy smells, and I think that there are more than one kind of aromatic silk odor, and not all silk smells of fish. Those that do, I can't imagine how to remove that smell.

This is probably a case of anosmia or threshold differences.

Anosmia is basically smell blindness. people who deny there is a smell to any form of silk, even the most raw forms, are likely anosmic.

In the case of threshold differences, what we are seeing are orders of magnitude of differences in threshold sensitivities to the aroma. some folks, like me and some of the above, are sensitive to it in almost all conditions. Others only note the odor when the silk is highly unprocessed, heated, or new-and-unwashed. these all suggest differences in threshold sensitivities.

At the end of the day, that's all it is. It's natural and probably genetic, as most things like this are. i don't have any data estimates, but anecdotally I put it at somewhere between 1-15% of people being able to pick up on this smell in varying conditions where others cannot.

What causes this aroma? well, I've eaten silkworm pods in Korea and I'll tell you what, I have to believe it's from the silkworm itself and a faulty deodorization process, rather than a degradation product that forms during processing, as the odor of edible silkworm pods is strikingly similar to silks. from what I've read, it is likely to be a protein called sericin, but i personally have never smelled an isolate of the protein so take that for what you will. I'm a believe it when I smell it kind of guy.

New Silk Clothes
Removing Odor from New Silk Clothes
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMay 22, 2006
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
old sweaters
Recycling Sweaters Into Crafts
Removing Lint from Sweaters