Build-Up on Shower Curtains

I bought a shower curtain that claims to not get build-up but it ended up getting it anyway. Does anyone know how best to clean them or what is the best one to buy so there is no build-up?

Rosemarie from Lynn, Mass

I have also been mislead in the shower curtain area. I now use 1 part bleach to 9 parts water and spray the bottom of the curtain after each shower. It only takes a moment. I also wash them once a month in a bleach mix also and I don't see any mildew or 'white fog' on the curtains anymore. On fabric, I never had them get build up. I hope this works for you. Be blessed :)

Maybe try buying a pretty cloth one and then just use a plastic liner with it- I buy mine at the dollar store and just throw them out when they get gross, super easy!

You can also try throwing the curtain (even plastic) in the washer with detergent and bleach; I was amazed at how clean it came out!

I saw on a show where she took the plastic shower curtain and put about 4 inches of Hot/warm water and put tide in the tub and then she(believe it or not) stepped on it with her bare feet for a few minutes. It was then rinsed and it was really nice.

Hope this helps! ( I would not put my bare feet in the tide and water, but I might wear plastic gloves and push it around in the tub...) :)

I do NOT advise using bleach, especially on something that could have such close contact with your skin. It does not just kill germs, but people too :( I throw mine in the washer on hot and it comes out perfect!

I no longer buy the flimsy shower curtain liners. Rather I buy the heavier one with grommets in stores such as LINEN & THINGS or BED, BATH & BEYOND. You pay more but they last for oodles of years. Then I use a cloth shower curtain on the outside. After taking a shower, holding the liner about half way up, I gently shake it from left to the middle & then from the middle to the right. This removes most of the water & it dries quicker than if you had not shaken the excess water off.

When I wash the liner I use hot water, detergent, 1/2 cup of borax & add a couple of towels to the load. I have never ever had built up of any sort. I also hang it on my clothesline making sure I do this on a day when there is a slight breeze. If you can't use a line just rehang it in your shower. Try it & I know you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have had this problem as well, and my solution is to wash the shower curtains in the washer. Whether the shower curtains are cloth or plastic. I put the shower curtain along with 1 or 2 towels in with them. The towels help to scrub the curtain of soap scum, mold. or anything that might stick to it.

It cleans beautifully and if you want to bleach them just use the appropriate bleach, either the bleach for whites or for colors. The reason for the towels, it's because if you don't the washer will most likely shred the plastic curtains and the towels will work as "scrubbers" Try this it has worked for me for years.

Good luck

When it starts to get gross, I throw it in the washer with a few not-so-good towels. Cleans up great just be careful taking it out of the washer. Sometimes the folds of the curtain retain water. Transport it back to the bathroom in a plastic tub or basket and rehang to dry.

I put mine in the washing machine on hot, add detergent and bleach and it comes out like new!

I would just like to thank all of u who have posted a feed back to my shower curtain issues this is a great website. You all seem like very nice people. Thank you all!

They also sell cloth curtains for the inside, the part that gets wet, which are easily washed and dried for years. They usually promote them as what the hotels use.

Consumer Advice Product FinderJanuary 22, 2009
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎄
🍂