Removing Lint from Clothing

Category Clothing
Some clothing just seems to be a lint magnet, marring its appearance. This is a guide about removing lint from clothing.

Sometimes it's hard to pull off some small fibers on your blazer or coats, cottons that stick or the fur from your dogs and cats. You cannot escape those fibers that then stick on your dress. It is time consuming if you pull them one at a time. So what do I do? I cut a 2 1/2 inches of tape, I rolled it on my fingers and started tapping it on the blazer, where the fibers are present. It sticks fast, and it cleans fast!

You have the ironing board out, the iron is turned on, and you get your first item out - a black pair of trousers. Oh my gosh! the trousers are full of lint, but you have no lint brush. What do you do?

My tip - Take a piece of Glad Press 'n Seal and use that as your lint remover. It works great! I use it on all my clothing that is in need of lint removing. Put the sticky side on item, press with hand, then peel up. The lint is gone!

By VaLady10 from Gloucester, VA

An easier, longer lasting, and much much cheaper way to accomplish the same thing is to take a roll of clear packaging tape (I get mine at the dollar store), peel back enough to fold back around the roll and stick it so it stays folded back with the sticky side out. Then simply roll the tape all over the garment. It picks up every tiny bit of lint. If it gets so full of lint that it won't pick up any more, simply peel off that piece and unroll a fresh stretch.

Many people will say to do this same thing with duct tape, but I've found that duct tape tends to leave a sticky residue on the fabric, whereas the clear packaging tape doesn't.

Dark Laundry

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

White lint spots can easily make freshly washed dark clothes look unwashed. This is a guide about white lint all over dark laundry.

Thrifty Lint Roller Brush - supplies

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Here is a way to make a variation on the tape wrapped around your hand makeshift lint roller. This is a guide about thrifty lint roller brush.

I attached the furniture brush attachment to the hose of my vacuum and lightly brushed the surface of the clothing, back and forth, back and forth, etc.

A friend gave me a lint shaver. It is battery operated and takes all those little pills of fuzz off of clothing. I keep it in the laundry room and use it all the time.

A roll of masking tape doubles; triples; quadruples as savings for you at home. Just like the much more expensive commercial lint roller used for clothing, a roll of ($1.25) masking tape wound around your hand will remove lint as easily as its counterpart.

My cleaning lady washed some sheets that had some Kleenex with them. I believe it shredded and when I used the washing machine to wash a dark load, the Kleenex got all over the clothes. Two black pair of women's pants are now impossible to get clean. The pair that is a linen blend can only be cleaned with my fingernail and it is coated with lint.

I washed the clothes twice after this happened and most of the blouses are pretty lint free after being dried, but the two black pairs of pants are impossible. I needed these particular clothes for a forthcoming vacation trip and I am sure there must be something that will remove the Kleenex lint. I have never had this problem before when there was a little Kleenex left in a pants pocket. The only other thing that it might be is the lint from a washed rug, but I don't see any rugs that have just been washed by my cleaning lady. Help!

By Pat from Los Angeles

Go to the fabric part of the store and buy some net. It doesn't matter what color you get. I use about a yard or two. Ball it up and add to the dryer. The net gets all the lint off. The smaller the holes in the net the better

I put about one cup of vinegar to a washer of clothes that have lint on them and then rinse away.

I put tape on my black clothes any kind of tape except duct tape. I tape up my black clothing including black jeans and pants, then i remove the tape. The tape will get enough lint off that no one will be able to notice. It works for me. I hope it works for you too.

Anonymous

can use shaver like a cheap bic...carefully go over areas...

How can I get lint off my clothes? Also, how do I get washing powder off them? They are all types of fabric, but mainly cotton or synthetic.

By Sarah from QLD

Lint usually means you need to sort your items when washing. Don't wash towels with clothes (especially synthetics) as the lint from the towels sticks to the clothes. To remove it, rewash the items separately and tumble dry. Fabric softener can help. It is hard to remove.

Detergent residue--your water isn't warm enough to dissolve the washing powder. Use warmer water, less detergent, do an additional rinse or try liquid detergent.

Same as above. Make sure your detergent is in the water, swish it a few minutes before adding clothes. Front loader and laundromat does not let you have that option, then you need to bump your water temp up. Or dissolve your detergent in some hot water before putting it into the washer with the clothing. Sorting laundry will eliminate many problems. Esp when not having to iron no iron clothing. Too much laundry shoved into washer will get your wrinkles, lint and left over soaps. May need to change your brand as well. Cheaper is not cheap when it causes problems.

Another hint is to buy about a yard of nylon netting. I put that in my washer with the clothes as they wash. Somehow it helps reduce the lint. I'm pretty sure I found this on TF! I have also put it in the dryer. I just use it over and over till it gets so limp I have to buy another yard. It costs practically nothing.

Does anyone know how to make a dryer ball to collect hair and lint in the dryer?

By Sandy D.