Removing Lint from Clothing

Category Clothing
lint roller
Some clothing just seems to be a lint magnet, marring its appearance. This is a guide about removing lint from clothing.

You have the ironing board out, the iron is turned on, and you get your first item out - a black pair of trousers. Oh my gosh! the trousers are full of lint, but you have no lint brush. What do you do?

My tip - Take a piece of Glad Press 'n Seal and use that as your lint remover. It works great! I use it on all my clothing that is in need of lint removing. Put the sticky side on item, press with hand, then peel up. The lint is gone!

By VaLady10 from Gloucester, VA

Last week, I checked ThriftyFun for ideas on how to remove lint from dark clothing and fleece garments. I found the standard roll of sticky tape suggestion. Well guess what else works? I attached the furniture brush attachment to the hose of my vacuum and lightly brushed the surface of the clothing, back and forth, back and forth, etc. It is slow tedious work, but isn't a sticky tape roller too? This works, you won't have to rip the used section of sticky tape off the roller so it is much less costly!

By Bob from WI

A friend gave me a lint shaver. It is battery operated and takes all those little pills of fuzz off of clothing. I keep it in the laundry room and use it all the time. It has even kept my husband's work t-shirts looking newer longer, as well as my favorite sweater that I accidentally washed with towels.

Source: My very good and thoughtful friend, Connie.

By eiw from Lancaster, PA

A roll of masking tape doubles; triples; quadruples as savings for you at home. Just like the much more expensive commercial lint roller used for clothing, a roll of ($1.25) masking tape wound around your hand will remove lint as easily as its counterpart.

If you have a pet that leaves it's fur on beds and couches and in your auto just use the same easy and inexpensive technique and you'll save time and money. Why not spend your free time doing what you LOVE to do!

By Lorin Elkin

Sometimes it's hard to pull off some small fibers on your blazer or coats, cottons that stick or the fur from your dogs and cats. You cannot escape those fibers that then stick on your dress. It is time consuming if you pull them one at a time. So what do I do? I cut a 2 1/2 inches of tape, I rolled it on my fingers and started tapping it on the blazer, where the fibers are present. It sticks fast, and it cleans fast!

White lint spots can easily make freshly washed dark clothes look unwashed. This is a guide about white lint all over dark laundry.

Dark Laundry

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Here is a way to make a variation on the tape wrapped around your hand makeshift lint roller. This is a guide about thrifty lint roller brush.

Thrifty Lint Roller Brush - supplies

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My cleaning lady washed some sheets that had some Kleenex with them. I believe it shredded and when I used the washing machine to wash a dark load, the Kleenex got all over the clothes. Two black pair of women's pants are now impossible to get clean. The pair that is a linen blend can only be cleaned with my fingernail and it is coated with lint.

I washed the clothes twice after this happened and most of the blouses are pretty lint free after being dried, but the two black pairs of pants are impossible. I needed these particular clothes for a forthcoming vacation trip and I am sure there must be something that will remove the Kleenex lint. I have never had this problem before when there was a little Kleenex left in a pants pocket. The only other thing that it might be is the lint from a washed rug, but I don't see any rugs that have just been washed by my cleaning lady. Help!

By Pat from Los Angeles

Answers

A hand held 3M Lint Roller works for me when I leave paper in the pocket of my black pants. Lay out the pants on an ironing board and roll away.

If the Lint Roller that nineleven47 suggested doesn't work, take them to the Dry Cleaners. They can probably get it off.

Go to the fabric part of the store and buy some net. It doesn't matter what color you get. I use about a yard or two. Ball it up and add to the dryer. The net gets all the lint off. The smaller the holes in the net the better

I put about one cup of vinegar to a washer of clothes that have lint on them and then rinse away.

I put tape on my black clothes any kind of tape except duct tape. I tape up my black clothing including black jeans and pants, then i remove the tape. The tape will get enough lint off that no one will be able to notice. It works for me. I hope it works for you too.

Anonymous

can use shaver like a cheap bic...carefully go over areas...

Anonymous

How do I get lint out of nylon pajamas that got washed with a white towel?

How can I get lint off my clothes? Also, how do I get washing powder off them? They are all types of fabric, but mainly cotton or synthetic.

By Sarah from QLD

Lint usually means you need to sort your items when washing. Don't wash towels with clothes (especially synthetics) as the lint from the towels sticks to the clothes. To remove it, rewash the items separately and tumble dry. Fabric softener can help. It is hard to remove.

Detergent residue--your water isn't warm enough to dissolve the washing powder. Use warmer water, less detergent, do an additional rinse or try liquid detergent.

Same as above. Make sure your detergent is in the water, swish it a few minutes before adding clothes. Front loader and laundromat does not let you have that option, then you need to bump your water temp up. Or dissolve your detergent in some hot water before putting it into the washer with the clothing. Sorting laundry will eliminate many problems. Esp when not having to iron no iron clothing. Too much laundry shoved into washer will get your wrinkles, lint and left over soaps. May need to change your brand as well. Cheaper is not cheap when it causes problems.

Another hint is to buy about a yard of nylon netting. I put that in my washer with the clothes as they wash. Somehow it helps reduce the lint. I'm pretty sure I found this on TF! I have also put it in the dryer. I just use it over and over till it gets so limp I have to buy another yard. It costs practically nothing.

Does anyone know how to make a dryer ball to collect hair and lint in the dryer?

By Sandy D.

How do you easily remove lint from polo t-shirts?

By Veronica from Hollywood, FL

Answers:

Removing Lint from Clothing

Use a sponge or cloth. Wet it with vinegar. It works, good luck. (02/02/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Lint from Clothing

I wrap a piece of duct tape (sticky side out) around the fingers of one hand and remove lint by touching the shirt with my sticky tape wherever there is lint. (05/21/2010)

By Dibbs

OK, so I did the unthinkable. I put new towels in with a pile of clothes and all the fluff from the towels came off and is now abundant all over my clothes. Apart from removing the fluff with cellotape, are there better, quicker ways to remove the fluff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Louise

By Louise from BC

Answers:

Removing Lint from Clothing

If the lint comes off easily try cleaning the lint screen and put them in the dryer on air dry, without the towels of course. Clean the lint screen every 5 minutes and keep restarting until loose lint is gone or screen is collecting no more lint. For anything that is not loose, after testing in an inconspicuous area to be sure it won't harm the fabric, try a piece of drywall sanding screen, this will grab the lint and works wonders on fabrics that have pilled as well. Polyesters knits in particular, don't always do well with this treatment. (11/06/2009)

By 1_PRINCESS_AURORA

Removing Lint from Clothing

Put the clothes back in the washer without any detergent and run them through the cycle. Then put them in the dryer and see if that doesn't remove all the lint. It worked for me. (11/06/2009)

By Lorelei

Removing Lint from Clothing

If you have a Walmart or Kmart nearby, go buy a clothes shaver. It's like an electric shaver, but for clothing. I have used mine for taking the little "pills" off of sheets, sweaters, etc. It's a miracle worker. (11/07/2009)

By NL1720

Removing Lint from Clothing

Get a "sticky tape roller" from your dry cleaners or they sell them at Walmart, Kmart, etc. (11/07/2009)

By Paula Jo Carr

Removing Lint from Clothing

My suggestion would be to get a square of netting, tulle, about the size of dryer sheet, pin to one piece of clothing and air fluff or run through rinse cycle and then dry. Depending on amount of lint, you may have to do several times. I use this netting with every load of colored clothes I wash and dry. Good luck. (11/10/2009)

By LAlady44

Tips for removing lint from clothing. Post your ideas!

Answers:

Duct Tape

To remove lint, hair, and especially cat hair from your clothes, take about 6 inches of duct tape, wrap it around your hand with sticky side away from your skin and stick end to end. Then dab away. Not much will escape the duct tape sticky.

By SusanL (08/27/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Lint from Clothing

I have found that simply dampening my hand and rubbing it over a garment is one of the best ways to get off lint and pet fur. It is easiest when the garment is being worn. (08/27/2004)

By PoPo

Removing Lint from Clothing

A great way to remove lint or animal hair from clothes, furniture and bedding is to take a Playtex glove and sweep it with the glove and vacuum the hair. It really works well.
(08/28/2004)

By Renee

Make Your Own Lint Remover

Here's a quick way to make a lint remover in a pinch. Roll up a magazine and tape both ends. Then wrap another piece of tape around the top of the roll, sticky side out. When the stickiness wears out, add a new piece of tape. (09/02/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Lint Solution

If you find your lint roller empty and have animal hair, or lint, on your clothing, just roll a piece of tape, (I use masking tape), sticky side out, around your 3 middle fingers and dab the areas and the hair/lint will come right off.

By Jenzo (11/24/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Lint from Clothing

Sister and I are trying this as I type. I had a really nice sweater poncho and it was covered in lint, but we took a blue-white two sided sponge and wet it a little bit, wrung it till it was damp and then scuffed it over the sweater and it started removing lint really well. (03/11/2005)

By J and J

Removing Lint from Clothing

Green 3m scour pad. I tried everything else, but I had some really tough lint and that was the only thing that worked. (05/23/2005)

By Annette

Removing Lint from Clothing

Run a disposable razor over the clothes and follow up with the tape ideas (08/15/2006)

By Mary

Removing Lint from Clothing

Try putting a cup of vinegar in the wash load. It has worked for me. (09/24/2006)

By Wendy

Removing Lint from Clothing

Rub a slightly damp cloth one way down the clothing it removes the lint. It has worked for me. (11/13/2006)

By Mandy

Removing Lint from Clothing

A damp sponge gets lint off of any fabric. Just be sure the fabric can tolerate water first. (04/02/2007)

By Jean

Removing Lint from Clothing

Mr. Clean. Is there anything the "Magic Eraser" can't do? The only thing that worked for caked-in fuzz and lint on a 89%acrylic/9%nylon/2%spandex "super soft" sweater was the Magic Eraser. The inside and outside were both solid caked-in, down in the nap of the sweater. I used the all-white Magic Eraser sponge that is "Extra Power" (the box has a hot pink swirl across it). Thank you, Mr. Clean.

Accept no substitutes. Spend the extra change on the name. It works great. (03/17/2008)

By Erica from TX

Removing Lint from Clothing

Take some mini scissors and cut the lint pieces off. Be careful not to cut the garment. (10/31/2008)

By Shanes