Liver and Onions

This is a VERY old recipe that is not real clear on amounts, but you can pretty much figure out the amounts you need as you go. NOT a dish that I, personally like much, but it was a favorite of my dad's and so we had it a lot. For those who do like liver, I'm sure you'll enjoy this.

• Liver
  • salt
  • thinly chopped onions

Directions:

Quickly brown slices of liver on one side. Salt. Turn. Cover with thinly chopped onions. Add a dash of salt. Cover and brown at low temperature until meat is no longer pink in the middle. When tender, serve immediately.

By Robin from Washington, IA

September 16, 2009 Flag

A little lift to your regular liver and onions.

• olive oil
  • Liver
  • 1 large onion (sliced)
  • 1 broccoli head (cut off crowns)
  • lemon juice

Directions:

In frying pan heat oil at low flame. Add onions and broccoli. Cook till almost tender. Add liver cook for 1 minute on each side. Add lemon juice. Cook till liver is ready.

By LRP from LWL, MA

Answers:

Liver, Onions and More

If you have trouble keeping the liver tender, soak it in milk before frying. That will also tenderize liver when reheating it. (06/24/2009)

By clynnaltemus

September 16, 2009 Flag

Not a favorite of mine, but my dad has always loved liver and we used to have some for him on a regular basis. This really makes me think of my childhood years.

• approx. 1/2-3/4 lb. bacon
  • approx. 2 lb. liver
  • lots of onions
  • flour
  • 2 bouillon cubes
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions:

Fry bacon. Flour livers. Fry liver in bacon drippings. Fry onions. Stir flour into drippings. Add 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Liver and Onions

It's so funny that I saw this post this morning; yesterday at dinner my daughter was telling my grandkids that depending on what foods you're brought up with, that's what you'll prefer when you're an adult. I said I begged to differ. My folks loved liver and onions but I couldn't stand it when I was little, and I can't stand it as an adult. Some tastes never change! Thanks for the memory! (07/13/2009)

By caseye

Liver and Onions

Yes, It must be a generational thing. My Mom would fix liver and onions for us during the 50's. Not a hit with the kids, but then you ate what was put before you. When I grew up I thought maybe it was a Midwest regional favorite, since she was from Missouri. Carl Sandburg had a line about liver and onions in one of his poems from "Rootabaga Stories". But I live in Hawaii now, my friend (born and raised here) said her Mom would fix it too. (07/19/2009)

By pigeon toes

July 9, 2009 Flag

When we want to have beef liver, I cook it with onion soup mix. First you dredge the liver well in seasoned flour (salt and pepper and others if you wish to use). Then I put it in my electric skillet in some oil. Then sprinkle on the onion soup mix (I use Lipton's), cover with water cook until done.

Remove the liver from the broth, bring the broth to a boil and make it into a gravy. Return the liver to the gravy and serve over rice, potatoes or noodles. We like it over potatoes the best.

By Madcow13690 from Star Lake, NY

Answers:

Liver and Onions

Nice, cheap recipe. My mouth's watering reading it! Haven't had liver for ages. (06/12/2009)

By patchs

Liver and Onions

When I fix liver and onions, I do mine different than anyone else that I know of. I soak my liver in cold water for about 5 minutes then drain it, then put it in cold water again for about 5 minutes. I do this about 3 times. It gets rid of that bloody taste, and my liver is always so tender.

Robin in TX (06/17/2009)

By catwoman1899

June 11, 2009 Flag

Dredge liver in flour. In a large skillet; heat oil and butter. Add liver and cook until almost cooked on both sides. Place liver in a casserole dish and keep warm. Add onions to the skillet.

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesJune 23, 2009
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎉
🎄