Adding Color to a White and Beige Kitchen

Everything in my kitchen is white, cabinets, walls, and appliances. The counter tops are laminated grey and beige. I also have beige ceramic tile with a few red-brownish tiles blended in. I need some ideas how to make my kitchen more colourful.

By Angela from Clearwater, FL

Great bones - just need color! Grey is a neutral. Brown is warm; so choose 3 colors you love and repeat them 3 times. Easiest and cheapest: 1) Paint 2) accent pieces 3) towels & rugs. I recently "upgraded" my kitchen look for under $100 at Shopko with all their coordinating stuff.

Red! or a color you love. I was told by a decorator not to use red. Well, I did and the kitchen is the room the entire family enjoys and visitors also. People have told me they feel happy while sharing a sandwich because things are bright. Use the color you love as you are the one that will be using the room.

What colors are in your adjoining rooms? You might want to pick up one of those. If that doesn't matter, I'd go for a rust color. You could also paint the column and the top strip attached to it an accent color and use that color in your towels, etc.

Hi Angela

My kitchen is also white, and I have added splashes of colour with pieces of china, plant pots and bits and pieces. I have chosen yellow and blue and you can pick up pieces very cheap. Saves you painting.

I think that your color scheme sounds great, but it probably now, needs some punch. Almost any color would work, but because of the reddish brown accents in the tile. I think that might be a good way to go. Try using reds with brown undertones, and some black accents would really punch up the whites, too. Also try some green plants, fresh or faux, to add some life to the area. It sounds beautiful!

Think French Country or Classic Farmhouse. Both of these looks use the white, not work against it. Add a few plants with dangling greenery maybe on top of the refrigerator and on a shelf, a butcher block cutting board, and a few stainless steel accents and you have a minimalist look that can work on a small budget. A rug at the sink or for the entire floor would definitely make a statement as well. Have fun!

OMG, like everyone else said, anything will work! What's your favorite color? Color in an adjoining room? Walk through Penny's, Target, any kitchen store and see what the color of the season is and give it a try! Buy a few things you like - take them home, put them in place, & take a picture like you attached and look at it on your computer and see what you think! If you don't like it, return it and try something else! You have no limitations except yourself! like "jcerar" said, she used "her" color and didn't listen to a decorator! It's YOUR kitchen! and, if you're in there alot, you've gotta like it - BHG doesn't live there, you do!

I decided to paint the column and the top strip attached to it in blue and grey in colour. But now I am not sure which colour to choose for backsplash. If should I match with counter top grey, blue white and black or match with ceramic floor rusty in color. I need some ideas, please.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenMay 26, 2010
Choosing a Kitchen Sink Color
Choosing a Kitchen Sink Color
Tiled Kitchen Wall
Kitchen Wall Tile Color Advice
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
colorful garden
Adding Color to Your Garden
🎄