Planting Trees and Shrubs Near a Septic System

We are new home owners in Advance, NC. Our home has a septic system and we have never had this before, always public sewer. We are on 3/4 of an acre and I would like to plant flowering trees and hopefully some maple trees to give us some privacy. I also would like a somewhat wooded area.

What type of trees, shrubs, flowering trees, etc. can I plant to be safe?

By Barbara M. from Advance, NC

Well, I live in the north and also have a septic system. My property has bushes and old pine trees abutting the septic system but not planted on the septic area its self with no problems for the 26 years I have been here. There is no need for any additives if you use the system for what it is intended for. I have the holding tank pumped about every 5 or 6 years. People run into problems with their system because they do not have it pumped periodically.

Thank you for your help. I had read that any trees should be planted 100 ft away from the septic lines. That seemed too far for me. Thanks again, Barbara

I strongly suggest you read these links to be on the safe side:

http://www.insp  fieldplants3.htm

http://www.ehow  septic-tank.html

http://www.exte  ture/DG6986.html

100ft. doesn't sound so bad. My parents had problems when the tree's roots worked their way into the system. Plant whatever you wish, just don't plant near it. :)

Thanks again. I'm reading the articles that were made available to me. It will take me some time and consideration in deciding what type of tree and the position of them. The last thing I want to do is upset the septic system. I do appreciate all the help.

Check with your county or State environmental agency, they may have guidelines to help with your questions. Stay clear or roots may creep into the system somewhere along the way, and then you might have to dig a whole new system.

Planting Near Septic System
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 16, 2009
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
Rid-Ex Alternative
Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 12:26:28 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.