Resilient Flooring Discolored Everywhere But Under Rugs

A few years ago we had a linoleum installer put a new floor in our bathroom. I am not sure of the kind of hard linoleum or vinyl or whatever, but they never told us that rubber backed rugs would leave a dirty looking floor everywhere, but under the rugs.

I have tried everything from Softscrub, toothpaste, baking soda, and white vinegar and still can not get up the brownish/yellow areas that surround the rugs.

When I called the company I was told to buy some more rugs and cover the whole floor, that there was nothing I could do to get it to the original look that the type of flooring I have is a reactive floor. What a bummer. Does anyone have any suggestions short of taking the floor out and putting something else down? I would really like to just get it really clean.

By MapleSyrup from Vermont

Answers

Do I understand correctly that the floor is discolored/dirty looking 'except' under the rug 'after a few years'? That would definitely mean having the rug is what was protecting your flooring under that rug and not causing the problem around it. The problem of staining around it would have to do with regular wear and tear and/or regular floor cleaning habits.

My suggestions would be to replace the flooring and clean the entire floor regularly thereafter or just leave the rug where it is so no one other than you will notice the discoloration.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsMay 14, 2010
Cork Flooring
Installing Cork Flooring
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Bathroom with vinyl flooring.
Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄
🍂