ElectronicsCleaning

Perfume Smell on Metal

I recently bid on and won a Panasonic Discman on E-Bay. When it arrived today and I opened the box, it reeked of perfume or cologne that even was in the metal of the unit. I had to throw away the packaging immediately. As I am allergic to scent, I had to put everyting into a ziplock bag until I can figure out how to get the smell out without destroying any of the components of the Discman. Any ideas. please?

Andrea

Have you contacted the seller to discuss the complaint yet? If you truly are not satisfied, then the seller should be able to refund your money. Otherwise I would leave a negative feedback. Now on to the current issue at hand..maybe put it in your garage or backyard under shade to air out?? I don't know that one is tricky.

Tahnks for the tip. I actually did contact the seller -- more for just an FYI, because he had no way of knowing of my allergies. He had upgraded the unit for the same price when he found the original item I had bid on wasn't up to par. (which was VERY cheap!) so I didn't want to push it. :)

Trying putting it a bag with a lump of charcoal

Charcoal absorbs all kinds of odours.

Try using vinager to wipe it down.

I'm trying the vinegar today. I've had sone success with the charcoal but it's not quite gone . Thanks :)

Put the item in a ziplock bag with several pieces of crumpled newspaper, then seal it up and let it sit for a few days. The newsprint somehow absorbs the odors. I know this works with coolers, refrigerators, etc -- it's worth a try!

Try adding a package of ground coffee to the ziplock back. The perfume molecules will bond to the coffee molecules and the smell should be gone in a few hours. Make sure you shake the bag vigorously so that the coffee coats the entire diskman otherwise you won't get a good interaction.