Use Shredded Paper as Litter for Your Guinea Pig

I have found a great use for my shredder. My 8 year old daughter has a hamster and a guinea pig. It was getting expensive to buy various items to use as cage litter. I had always lined the cages with newspaper and then put the litter on top. I still line them with newspaper, but now I use shredded newspaper, ads, and junk mail. I've been using this for almost a year with no ill effects to the animals.

By Nancy

Shredded paper is also good in the compost - it breaks down quite quickly if mixed with grass clippings and animal poo. If applied damp, (to stop it blowing away), to earth garden paths between vegetable beds it compacts down well and next season can be mixed in with the garden soil.

Jo

Wood stove pellets also work well for small animal bedding and as litter box filler for rabbits. Usually less than $5 for a 40 pound bag. Great for compost too, it just breaks down to saw dust when wet. I've found that some small animals are more prone to eating the paper than the wood stove pellets, not the best for their digestive system.

Every time I dump my shredded paper in the compost I wonder where shredders were when I had two small kids and a ton of hamsters and rats. Great tip!

A tan and white guinea pig.
Caring For Pet Guinea Pigs
Pets Guinea PigsJune 11, 2004
Shredded Paper
Making Shredded Paper for Crafts
Girl wearing a pig costume with a pink straw hat.
Making a Pig Costume
Waste Bin Full of Shredded Paper
Recycling Shredded Paper
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
🎉
🎄