Planning a Family Get Together A Month After the Wedding

My daughter was married a few weeks ago. My mother and I were unable to attend due to the long distance and health problems. I, of course, feel badly about not being able to attend my own daughter's wedding.

I would like to give her a small (immediate family) follow-up party in August. I wonder if this has ever been done before, is appropriate and finally, any ideas? Also, what do I call it?

I need to do it in my own home. All ideas needed from what to serve, to thoughts on a small gift or token? Any other ideas other than this?

Thank you for reading and any responses you might have.

By Ann G. from NY

I guess no answer is my answer. If anyone has any ideas about what else I can do, please let me know. If nothing, that, too, is answer.

Thanks so much

Ann G

It is perfectly appropriate for you to give a family gathering. I have attended another whole "wedding reception" in the grooms hometown, when the bride's hometown, where the wedding was, was so far away that most of the people on the grooms side couldn't attend.

I think you can do anything you like. You can do a sit down meal, just like Thanksgiving , or you could do something more informal like a BBQ or something fancy like an afternoon tea with fancy sandwiches. I think any sort of gathering that you care to host will be fine. Depends on how many are coming and what your family likes to do. If you have already given your gift to your daughter, I don't know that you need to give another. But again, do what you like. It is your party for your daughter, for close family and friends.

At the "second reception" that I attended, it was just like a regular one, with everyone giving regular wedding type gifts, but only those who had not attended the actual wedding, which was most of the crowd. It was quite a large affair.

You might go with a theme, like plants for her yard of her new home (if she and her new husband have one), people could bring plants from their own gardens or inexpensive garden stuff like solar lights or gazing balls and so on. Or if the gift is just a token, maybe everyone could bring a favorite family recipe? If your family is into potluck gatherings, you could do that, with everyone bringing a family fav for the potluck, and also the recipe.

You can have this gathering as formal or as informal as you please.

I don't know what to call it. I don't think that matters either!

If your daughter understands why you and your mother were not able to attend her wedding, and she's not upset with you, then by all means have an after-wedding party for her and her new husband - that would be such a nice gesture! If you invite immediate family members who attended the wedding or have already given a gift, you might want to assure them that your party is one to celebrate the new couple in a smaller, more intimate setting (Name it a "Celebration for ______"). Finger foods, small pastries, and juice/soda/coffee/wine would be easy to serve. As for a gift suggestion on your part, an engraved set of wine glasses or an engraved glass platter would be nice. I've also seen some very cute ceramic utensil containers that were engraved with the bride's name, such as "Susan's Kitchen". Or, you can make or order some note cards with their first names on them; include some stamps, and these would be great for thank-you notes! It all depends on your budget, but it's the love and thoughts that count the most!

It's a "reception" to honor the newly married couple. A reception does not have to be held immediately following a wedding, graduation, anniversary, or any other event. I think that it is really gracious of you and am sure that your daughter and her husband will appreciate what you are doing. You can make it a weekend brunch, and early afternoon tea (cake, cookies, punch, nuts, fruit), a BBQ cookout, a home cooked buffet, a traditional affair, or anything that is in your budget. Everyone will mingle, meet one another, and just enjoy each other's company, a nice get-together. Your daughter is very lucky.

Planning a Post Wedding Celebration Several Months Later with Family
Weddings ReceptionJune 30, 2011
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding